Design Receives Trustees Seal of Approval
Universitys Board of Trustees has recently returned
to its iconographic roots. The Board has reverted from the
more schematic line-drawing of the seal, which has been in
use since 1979, to the more distinguished and detailed design
that was originally approved in 1926.
The main difference is that the wording in the outer circle
then read Seal of the Board of Higher Education of the
City of New York1926. And therein hangs a brief
history of the CUNY Board of Trustees, as related by its current
Secretary Genevieve Mullin (her association with the Board
began in 1971).
In 1926 the New York State legislature required every city
with a population of more than one million to establish a
Board of Higher Education. New York was the only such city
in the state at the time, and the first Board consisted of
the Boards of Trustees of City College and Hunter College,
plus three mayoral appointees. Pressure from the
burgeoning Borough of Brooklyn soon began for a college of
its own, and the future City University consortium began to
Up to 1974, all Board of Higher Education appointees were
named by the Mayor. After 1974, the number of Board members
was set at ten, with seven mayoral and three governors
appointees. According to Mullin, the present constitution
of the Board (17 members: ten gubernatorial, 5 mayoral, two
ex officio) grew out of reorganization during the 1976 New
York City fiscal crisis, and it was in 1979 that the Board
of Higher Education was renamed the Board of Trustees.
The Latin motto in the sealEruditio populi liberi spes
gentiumcan be translated, The education of free
people is the hope of humanity.
of the Past on Old Hunter Campus
World War II, some 86,000 WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer
Emergency Service) were trained by the Navy at the U.S. Naval
Training Station on the Bronx campus of Hunter College, now
occupied by Lehman College. Among them was the 2nd Platoon,
of the Eighth Regiments Company 813, seen here on the
campus ( photo courtesy of Roberta Silvester Stahley, WAVES
Memorabilia, Lehman College Library).
Dubbed the U.S.S. Hunter, the Station was formally
commissioned on February 8, 1943, as a boot camp
for the training of reserve women for onshore naval duty.
The site was particularly well-suited for the Navys
purposes due to its four well constructed buildings, gymnasium
facilities, large grassy fields, and proximity to excellent
transportation facilities. The location also gave high visibility
to the Navys local recruitment efforts.
Over a six- to eight-week period, women at the Training Station
learned about naval organization and administration, ships
and aircraft, and history. They also underwent an intensive
program of marching drills and calisthenics, medical exams,
and a battery of aptitude tests. At the completion of their
orientation, these women were directly assigned to positions
or otherwise sent for training in a specialty. WAVES served
as parachute riggers, pharmacists mates, instrument
trainers, storekeepers, clerks, dispatchers, decoders, and
navigators, freeing male personnel for combat.
The station was decommissioned on February 1, 1946. A ships
bell left by the Navy and a stained glass window given by
Waves National to the College are tangible reminders on campus
today of the special use made of the Lehman site during World
Readers interested in the full story may consult Making
WAVES in the Bronx, an article published by Lehman Professor
and Special Collections Librarian Janet Butler Munch in The
Bronx County Historical Society Journal (Spring 1993).
Queue Up for Queens College Evening Readings
College Evening Readings promise another year of literary
luminaries reading from their newest works and interviews
by Director Joe Cuomo. Joan Didion, whose Political Fictions
is due this fall, will appear on Oct. 16. Others scheduled
for the series on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. are V.S. Naipaul, Booker
Prize- winning author, whose most recent book, Half a Life,
is forthcoming this fall (Oct.
30); Margaret Atwood, also a Booker Prize-winner, whose newest
book is The Blind Assassin (Nov. 13); Stanley Crouch, author
of fiction and non-fiction including Dont the Moon Look
Lonesome, Daily News columnist and commentator for 60 Minutes,
and Danzy Senna, author of Caucasia (both on Dec. 4).
spring semester will include: novelist Russell Banks, whose
books Affliction and The Sweet Hearafter were adapted into
major Academy Award-nominated films (Feb. 26); Adam Zagajewski,
widely regarded as one of the greatest poets in the Polish
language (March 19); and Javier Marias, considered Spains
greatest living novelist, whose newest Tomorrow in the Battle
Think on Me will be published this fall (April 16). The final
program (April 30) features poet and essayist Anne Carson,
whose books include The Beauty of the Husband, and former
Queens College Professor and award-winning poet Marie Ponsot,
whose most recent book Springing: New and Selected Poems 1946-
2002, will be published next