J-1 Scholars
Student Stories
Getting a Student Visa
Attending CUNY
Maintaining Your Immigration Status
Understanding Employment Options
Living in New York

Academic Calendar A calendar that defines a school's academic semesters
Academic Honesty Ethical consideration for students, pertaining to the avoidance of plagiarism
Academic Training (AT) Also known as AT; employment option available for international exchange visitors (those with a J-1 visa)
Associate’s Degree A two-year degree
Bachelor of Arts (BA) A four-year degree in a non-scientific field
Bachelor of Science (BS) A four-year degree in a scientific field
Borough A section/area of a city
Bursar A college official in charge of collecting tuition and fee payments
Bursar Office The office at a college that is responsible for the collection of tuition and fees
Campus The location of a university's classrooms and offices

Citizenship andImmigration Services (USCIS)

The U.S. Government bureau dealing with citizenship and immigration issues
Credit (noun) Units measuring the number of hours of class one has during a semester (degrees require a certain number of accumulated credits)
Credit Card A magnetic card given to a customer by a bank or other business for the purpose of making purchases on credit (deferred payment)
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Curricular Practical Training; A type of F-1 student employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum such as internship
Debit Card A magnetic card that enables the holder to withdraw money or to have the cost of purchases charged directly to the holder’s bank account
Degree Requirements The actual courses and other academic stipulations needed to obtain a specific degree
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) U.S. government agency concerned with immigration and national security
Designated School Official (DSO) The designated official at a school who works with the USCIS
Doctoral Degree The highest degree that can be held in a field; usually obtained only after first receiving a bachelor's degree and master's degree
Doctoral Student A student pursuing the highest academic degree, one that is higher that a Master's Degree
DS 2019 The U.S. Department of State document issued to Exchange Visitor Program participants
Duration of Status (D/S) A stamp placed on the I-94 card, indicating that the holder of the card may remain in the U.S. during the length of time it takes them to complete their degree
Extracurricular Activities Activities not directly related to a student's classes, such as membership in clubs, involvement in community activities, & hobbies
F-1 Student Visa/Immigration Status The type of U.S. visa required for international students (non-U.S. citizens) to enter and study in the U.S.
F-2 Visa The visa given to the spouse or dependent child of an F-1 student
Freshman A student who has completed 27 or fewer credit hours (usually someone in his/her first year of university study)
Full-Time Student A student who is taking at least 12 credits (usually four classes)
Grading System A scale used to translate letter grades in to point values. The grading scale used at most U.S. colleges is: A 4.0 96-100, A- 3.7 90-95, B+ 3.2 87-89, B 3.0 83-86, B- 2.7 80-82, C+ 2.2 77-79
Graduate Degree An advanced degree beyond the bachelor's Degree (for example a Master's or Ph.D)
Graduate Student A person participating in post-graduate study (for example, an MA, MS, doctoral, or Ph.D. program)
I-20 A government form institutions use to certify to the U.S. government that an international student is eligible for F-1 student status
I-94 A form given to visitors when they enter the U.S. and stapled into their passports; Contains an "arrival number" that is used to monitor the visitor's entrance and departure from the country
Internship A paid or unpaid job position held by a student to gain working experience and/or class credits
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa/Immigration Status The type of U.S. visa required for international exchange visitors to enter and study in the U.S.
J-2 Visa The visa given to the spouse or dependent child of an J-1 student to enter the U.S.
Leave of Absence A break in attendance from school or work
Liberal Arts A college or university curriculum aimed at imparting general knowledge and developing general intellectual capacities, in contrast to a professional, vocational, or technical curriculum
Master’s Degree An advanced degree awarded after obtaining the Bachelor's Degree and upon completion of a one to three year program
Master’s Student A student pursuing a master's degree
Metro Card A magnetic card one can purchase to ride on subways or buses in New York City
Off-Campus Outside of a school's primary location
Office of the Registrar The university office responsible for student enrollment/registration
On-Campus Within a school's primary location
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Optional Practical Training; a program that allows international students to work for up to one year after graduating from an American university
Register The act of selecting and officially signing up for specific classes
Responsible Officer (RO) A college official authorized by the U.S. Department of State to oversee the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program; issue the DS 2019, advise Exchange Visitors on obtaining and maintaining J-1 and J-2 U.S. Visa and Immigration status
Semester A 15-18 week period of time constituting half of an academic year
Senior A student who has completed 90 or more credit hours (usually someone in his/her fourth or last year of university study)
SEVIS Student Exchange Visitor Information System A U.S. Department of Homeland Security internet database, used to collect information, issue I-20 and DS 2019 forms, request employment authorization and monitor all other visa and immigration requirements relative to F -1 and J-1 non-immigrants and their dependents
Social Security Number A nine digit number assigned by the U.S. Social Security Administration primarily to track individuals for taxation purposes. In recent years, it has been used quite frequently as an identification number
Status The condition of a person or thing in the eyes of the law (in this tutorial, refers to a person's student status in the U.S.)
Transfer Student A student who changes colleges/universities prior to completing his or her degree
Undergraduate Degree The degree received after completing a two year college program (Associate Degree) or a four year college program (Bachelor's Degree)
Undergraduate Student A college student seeking an Associate Degree or a Bachelor's Degree
U.S. Citizenship The quality of being a citizen of the United States
U.S. Department of State The foreign affairs agency of the U.S. Government. Oversees the issuance of U.S. Visas at U.S. Embassies and Consulates in foreign countries. Governs the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
U.S. Higher Education System U.S. universities and colleges