J-1 Scholars
Student Stories
Getting a Student Visa
Attending CUNY
AttendiMaintaining Your Immigration Statusng CUNY
Understanding Employment Options
Living in New York
STEP 1: Welcome Letter & Required Forms
STEP 2: Form I-20 or DS-2019
STEP 3: Letter Accompanying I-20 or DS-2019
STEP 5: U.S. Consulate Appointment
STEP 6: U.S. Entry
STEP 7: Reporting to the College
STEP 1: Welcome Letter & Required Forms
I-20 and DS-2019 fo
Your college will send you several important forms once you have been accepted for admission.

After you have been accepted to the CUNY college to which you have applied, you will receive a Welcome Letter along with 4 forms for you complete and return to your college's Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO). These forms are needed before you can enroll at the College and so that your DSO/RO can issue the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. You will need the Form

I-20(Certificate of Eligibility) to obtain the F visa; Form DS-2019 to obtain the J Visa.

Here's what you will need to do, upon receiving the Welcome Letter and required forms:

1. Review the Welcome Letter and forms.

2. Complete and return the following forms:

  • The Immunization Form
  • The I-20 or DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility) Application Form. Review the instruction letter accompanying your I-20 or DS-2019 upon receipt.
  • The Affidavit of Support form.
  • Declaration & Certification of Finance form
Proof of certain immunizations is needed before you can register for courses. Therefore, you will need to submit this immunization form along with any other pertinent health records. This information is needed to determine if you have the mandatory immunizations as required by the U.S. government.

The Certificate of Eligibility (for the I-20 or DS-2019) application form is needed to obtain information required to issue the actual I-20 or DS-2019. The Affidavit of Support and the Declaration & Certification of Finance forms are needed to determine if you are financially able to support yourself.

When completing the finance forms, remember to convert all figures into U.S. dollars and attach all necessary documents (e.g. bank letter/statement, sponsor's proof of income, proof of an approval loan or evidence of a scholarship) before returning them to your advisor. Please attach documents that are original and translated into English.
Frequently Asked Questions
Printable Summary (PDF)