J-1 Scholars
Student Stories
Getting a Student Visa
Attending CUNY
AttendiMaintaining Your Immigration Statusng CUNY
Understanding Employment Options
Living in New York
STEP 1: Welcome Letter & Required Forms
STEP 2: Form I-20 or DS-2019
STEP 3: Letter Accompanying I-20 or DS-2019
STEP 5: U.S. Consulate Appointment
STEP 6: U.S. Entry
STEP 7: Reporting to the College
STEP 5: Consulate Appointment
I-20 and DS-2019 fo
To apply for a student visa, you must have an interview in English at the U.S. consulate in your country.
Once you have received your I-20 or DS-2019 and your SEVIS fee payment has been processed, make an appointment at the U.S. Consulate in your country to apply for the visa. While Consulate procedures for the F-1 or J-1 visa may differ from country to country, the application process usually includes a short interview in English, several forms that you need to complete, and a processing fee. When you come to the U.S. Consulate, you must bring your college acceptance letter, finance form with supporting documents, I-20 or DS-2019, SEVIS fee payment receipt, and passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of your appointment at the Consulate.

Once your application is approved, the F-1 or J-1 Visa will be stamped in your passport.
U.S. Consulate
Frequently Asked Questions
Printable Summary (PDF)