J-1 Scholars
Student Stories
Getting a Student Visa
Attending CUNY
Maintaining Your Immigration Status
Understanding Employment Options
Living in New York
Rule 1: Remain a Full-time Student
Rule 2: Keep Your Documents Valid
Rule 3: Report to DSO/RO Before Traveling Abroad
Rule 4: Keep Your Advisor Informed
Rule 5: Do Not Work Without Authorization
Rule 6: File Income Taxes
RULE 4: Keep Your Advisor Informed
I-20 and DS-2019 fo
Keep your international student office informed about any changes in your personal information.

Changes in Personal Information:  Notify your International Student Advisor and your college’s Registrar’s Office within 10 days after obtaining your new address. You must also notify your advisor if there are any changes in your name, citizenship, degree level, major, sources of funding or anticipated graduation date. Your advisor will make the necessary updates to your records in SEVIS. Failure to report changes in your personal information within 10 days of receiving it can place you in danger of losing your student immigration status.

 Departure from College: Contact your advisor if you plan to leave your college  temporarily or permanently. Whether you plan to study abroad, take a leave of absence, withdraw, graduate early, or transfer to another school, you must notify your advisor before leaving

Missing Documents:  Contact your advisor immediately if any of your documents are stolen, lost, or misplaced. Your Advisor will instruct you on how to obtain replacement documents. Note: You must always report your lost passport to the police and obtain a police report.

Frequently Asked Questions
Printable Summary (PDF)