J-1 Scholars
Student Stories
Getting a Student Visa
Attending CUNY
Maintaining Your Immigration Status
Understanding Employment Options
Living in New York
On-Campus Jobs
Carricular Practical Training (CPT) & Academic Training (AT)
Off-Campus Employment (Economic Hardship)
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Social Security Number
Off-Campus Employment (Economic Hardship)
I-20 and DS-2019 fo
You may work off-campus only if you experience unexpected economic hardship
after your first year in the U.S.
In exceptional circumstances students may pursue off-campus employment not directly related to their studies. Such employment is available only to students who experience unexpected economic hardship after entering the U.S. and only after the first year of study.

It can be difficult to obtain permission to work based on economic necessity. Those who are authorized for off-campus employment can only work 20 hours per week while school is in session; 40 hours during vacation periods.

F-1 and J-1students should discuss off-campus employment with their international Student Advisor, who will instruct them on how to apply for work permission from USCIS
Frequently Asked Questions
Printable Summary (PDF)