J-1 Scholars
Student Stories
Getting a Student Visa
Attending CUNY
Maintaining Your Immigration Status
Understanding Employment Options
Living in New York
On-Campus Jobs
Carricular Practical Training (CPT) & Academic Training (AT)
Off-Campus Employment (Economic Hardship)
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Social Security Number
Social Security Number
I-20 and DS-2019 fo
If you get a job while in the U.S., you must get a social security card.
If you get a job while in the U.S., you will need to obtain a Social Security Card from a U.S. Social Security Office. This card will contain your social security number, which you need for tax and employment forms at your new job. Your social security number will never change, so you only need to go through this process the first time you get a job in the U.S.

To get a social security card, you need to get a referral letter from your DSO or RO. Take this letter, along with your job offer, passport, I-94, I-20 or DS-2019, and CUNY ID card to the social security office nearest you. You will receive your card within two-three weeks.

For more information or a list of social security offices, see Social Security Online.
Social Security Online
Frequently Asked Questions
Printable Summary (PDF)