J-1 Scholars
Student Stories
Getting a Student Visa
Attending CUNY
Maintaining Your Immigration Status
Understanding Employment Options
Living in New York
Attractions & Activities
Health Insurance
I-20 and DS-2019 fo
You will need several forms of identification to open a bank account in the U.S.
One of the first things you should do when you come into the country is open a checking account. Then you can transfer money from your home country and deposit traveler's checks and other money you may have.

Many international banks have branches in the U.S. You should see if your home bank has a branch in New York. Otherwise, you can open an account with an American bank. To open an account, you will need your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, proof of address, and other forms of identification.

In the U.S., credit and debit cards are widely used and often preferred over checks or cash. You can pay your tuition bill and make most purchases using these cards. However, most people still use checks to pay for rent.

Your International Student Office can also help you with this matter.
Interactive CUNY Map
Frequently Asked Questions
Printable Summary (PDF)