Archive for 2012

Q. My uncle has filed an I-130 petition for his daughter who is over 21, married, and has children. I know the law says the process can take up to 10 years. Can he apply for a visitor’s visa and adjust her status while the I-130 petition is processing? In addition, can this process speed up as a result of my uncle’s disability and his age?

February 17, 2012 | Adjustment of Status, Family Petition, Immigrant Visas

A. It is unlikely the daughter will get a visitor’s visa while she is waiting to process for an immigrant visa. Even if she got the visa, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services might not let her stay here legally until she gets to the front of the line for her immigrant visa. If she stays […]

Q. I filed for my mother to come to the United States and on April 2009 she was granted a green card. My question is, when will she be able to file for citizenship?

January 20, 2012 | Naturalization

A. Your mother is eligible for naturalization after being a lawful permanent resident for five years. The date she became a permanent resident is on her green card. She can file her Application for Naturalization, USCIS form N-400, 90 days before completing the five years. Your mother can naturalize after just three years if she […]