Family Petition

Q. I have a couple of questions about my daughter who came to the United States on November 2009 with a Visa B1/B2 and never returned to her country. She now needs to return to her country. Can I in the future fill the Form I-130 for her? Will she have the appointment for a Green Card? Will she need to fill out the Form I-601? My daughter is 12 years old. Thank you for your time.

November 18, 2011 | Family Petition, Immigrant Visas, Naturalization

A . If you are a U.S. citizen you may want to consider filing an application for permanent residence now. She can get travel permission as part of the application process.  Of course, if the USCIS approves her green card application before she leaves, she can return as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) or ‘”green […]

Q. I would like to know if a person who is a United States citizen and married to someone with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) can petition for a green card for the TPS holder. The person on TPS entered the U.S.A. without inspection. -Lilian

September 16, 2011 | Family Petition, Temporary Protected Status

A.  Hi Lilian, A U.S. citizen can petition for his/her noncitizen spouse and other Immediate Relatives.  One common concern is whether the spouse/immediate relative can interview in the United States, a process called “adjustment of status.”  For a spouse of a U.S. citizen or other immediate relative of a U.S. citizen to adjust status, the […]

Q. ” I would like to apply for my green card. What is the process to obtain it? I am a student at CUNY and I came from the Caribbean. What can I do?”

July 20, 2011 | Cancellation of Removal, Family Petition, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR)

Please note that this answer only seeks to provide general information and is not a substitute for legal advice. A.  The law provides many different paths to permanent residence (a green card).  Most people get permanent residence when a relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident petitions for them.  Others qualify because they […]