Legal Permanent Residents (LPR)

Naturalization for Person Married to U.S. Citizen Member of the Military

May 17, 2013 | Family Petition, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

Q.  I have a couple of questions to, hopefully, help in my wife’s situation. I am in the U.S. Navy currently serving on an aircraft carrier. I am soon to change duty stations to outside the United States.  My wife is a foreign national and currently holds a ten-year permanent resident card but isn’t able […]

Lawful Permanent Resident Outside of the United States for More than One Year Without Reentry Permit

November 16, 2012 | Family Petition, Immigrant Visas, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR)

Q.  I was a permanent resident, living in California, married to an American citizen.  We had two kids.  In 2008 I came to Brazil and I stayed there for more than a year.  I tried to get permission to return , so I tried to get re-entry permission, it wasn’t approved and I was told […]

Naturalization After Arrest for Khat Possession

October 19, 2012 | Criminal Convictions, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR)

Q.  I have a question about my husband’s case. He was arrested in 2004 for possession of Khat. He didn’t go to jail but he got probation. Will his conviction keep him from getting his green card? In the past he’s never been in trouble. He works hard. Can you please help him.  -Nagate Salah, […]

Adjustment of Status for Undocumented Immigrants Married to U.S. Citizen in the Military

September 21, 2012 | Legal Permanent Residents (LPR)

Q.  I am unsure of how to even ask the question. I don’t know anything about the immigration laws, but I have heard of other marines being able to get their spouse U.S. citizenship. I am a former U.S. Marine. I got out around 2004 and met my wife in 2005. We have been married […]

Q. I am very much interested in becoming a citizen. I’ve been here legally since 1985 and have worked ever since paying taxes. Unfortunately, I got arrested on a grand larceny charge in 1991. Is there any chance of me becoming a citizen? Can I request a pardon from the governor?

July 20, 2012 | Criminal Convictions, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A. I’m presuming that you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder). There is a potential problem with your filing a citizenship application. Criminal convictions, even if they occurred many years ago, can have various immigration consequences for green card holders. Immigration law has several categories of crimes that can make a green holder […]

Q. I am a U.S. Citizen while my wife is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). We have been married for over five years now but my wife has only been a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) since August 14, 2009. I am looking into an expedited naturalization for my wife based on work. I am about to begin with Harvard University as a Master of Liberal Arts Student. I have to complete a Master’s thesis proposal and eventually a thesis for which I will need to be in the United Arab Emirates for about 12 to 20 months. I don’t get paid by the Harvard Extension School as this is a self-paced research which one has to complete in order to obtain the Masters of Liberal Arts program. Does my wife qualify for an expedited naturalization based on 319(b)?

June 15, 2012 | Family Petition, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A. Your question refers to section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), a provision that allows certain permanent residents to have their naturalization “expedited” if their U.S. citizen spouse is working overseas.  The naturalization is expedited, for an eligible applicant, in the sense that she does not have to meet the requirements of […]

Q. Can a child who came in with a humanitarian visa and is being petitioned by his/her resident mother apply for adjustment of status, or will this child have to go back to his/her country to get a green card? -Name withheld

March 16, 2012 | Adjustment of Status, Family Petition, Immigrant Visas, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR)

A. Adjustment of status is a process that allows an individual who is already present in the United States to apply for permanent residence and receive it without leaving the country. Though there are many exceptions, in order to qualify for adjustment of status, an individual generally must meet three criteria: He/she must have a […]

Q. I have been a permanent resident for over five years, and I’m legally married to a United States citizen. However, we’ve been separated for almost three years, and since then I’ve been filing taxes as single. Will that be an issue when I apply to become a citizen?

October 21, 2011 | Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A. The issue of taxes and naturalization pertains to the naturalization requirement that an applicant demonstrate that he or she is a person of good moral character for the statutory period. Because you have been a permanent resident for over five years, you can apply on your own. As long as you have paid taxes […]

Q. Can my friend naturalize despite having lost her green card? I’m a volunteer for CUNY Citizenship Now! One of my friends lost her wallet containing her permanent resident card. She came to the United States as a little girl. She’s now in her forties. She knows her alien number. Can she become a U.S. citizen without replacing her lost card?

August 19, 2011 | Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A.  Your friend can naturalize without getting a new permanent resident card. Applying for U.S. citizenship will save her time and money. Some people are confused about this issue. That’s because if you ask USCIS if you must get a new green card when you lose one, the agency representatives say “yes.” The reason for […]

Q. ” I would like to apply for my green card. What is the process to obtain it? I am a student at CUNY and I came from the Caribbean. What can I do?”

July 20, 2011 | Cancellation of Removal, Family Petition, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR)

Please note that this answer only seeks to provide general information and is not a substitute for legal advice. A.  The law provides many different paths to permanent residence (a green card).  Most people get permanent residence when a relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident petitions for them.  Others qualify because they […]