Naturalization for Person Married to U.S. Citizen Member of the Military

May 17, 2013 | Family Petition, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

Q.  I have a couple of questions to, hopefully, help in my wife’s situation. I am in the U.S. Navy currently serving on an aircraft carrier. I am soon to change duty stations to outside the United States.  My wife is a foreign national and currently holds a ten-year permanent resident card but isn’t able […]

Acquisition and Derivation of U.S Citizenship

April 19, 2013 | Naturalization

Q.  My father is a U.S. citizen born here in the United States. My mother brought my brother and I here when we were age 18. We are now age 21. Are we U.S. citizens because our father is American or must we apply? A. Child sometimes get U.S. citizenship because a parent is a […]

How a Criminal Conviction or Charge Can Affect Path to Citizenship

February 15, 2013 | Cancellation of Removal, Criminal Convictions, Naturalization

Q.  I am a permanent resident. I was detained and placed in removal proceedings because of two old marijuana convictions. The immigration judge granted me cancellation of removal, giving me the chance to continue with my life here. I have been a permanent resident for 17 years and employed. I have no felony convictions. Can […]

Naturalization and Previous Charge of Knife Possession as a Minor

January 18, 2013 | Criminal Convictions, Naturalization

Q.  I was charged with possessing a knife, but the judge discharged the case. This happened when I was just 17. Will I have a problem becoming a U.S. citizen? A.  If you have been a permanent resident five years from the time of your offense, the incident should not keep you from naturalizing unless […]

Q. I am very much interested in becoming a citizen. I’ve been here legally since 1985 and have worked ever since paying taxes. Unfortunately, I got arrested on a grand larceny charge in 1991. Is there any chance of me becoming a citizen? Can I request a pardon from the governor?

July 20, 2012 | Criminal Convictions, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A. I’m presuming that you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder). There is a potential problem with your filing a citizenship application. Criminal convictions, even if they occurred many years ago, can have various immigration consequences for green card holders. Immigration law has several categories of crimes that can make a green holder […]

Q. I am a U.S. Citizen while my wife is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). We have been married for over five years now but my wife has only been a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) since August 14, 2009. I am looking into an expedited naturalization for my wife based on work. I am about to begin with Harvard University as a Master of Liberal Arts Student. I have to complete a Master’s thesis proposal and eventually a thesis for which I will need to be in the United Arab Emirates for about 12 to 20 months. I don’t get paid by the Harvard Extension School as this is a self-paced research which one has to complete in order to obtain the Masters of Liberal Arts program. Does my wife qualify for an expedited naturalization based on 319(b)?

June 15, 2012 | Family Petition, Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A. Your question refers to section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), a provision that allows certain permanent residents to have their naturalization “expedited” if their U.S. citizen spouse is working overseas.  The naturalization is expedited, for an eligible applicant, in the sense that she does not have to meet the requirements of […]

Q. I filed a Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, for my son, along with a fee waiver request in New York City in March 2011. I have not received any receipt or confirmation from USCIS. How long does an N-600 take to be processed when it is submitted with a fee waiver application? My son is 15 years old. He became a U.S. citizen automatically when I naturalized. He received an American passport, but we need a Certificate of Citizenship to prove that he is a U.S. citizen.

May 18, 2012 | Naturalization

A. A U.S. passport is evidence of U.S. citizenship and, legally, its weight is equal to that of a Certificate of Citizenship. There are some limited circumstances where it would be beneficial to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. For instance, if your son ever loses his U.S. passport, he will need to provide evidence […]

Q. I filed for my mother to come to the United States and on April 2009 she was granted a green card. My question is, when will she be able to file for citizenship?

January 20, 2012 | Naturalization

A. Your mother is eligible for naturalization after being a lawful permanent resident for five years. The date she became a permanent resident is on her green card. She can file her Application for Naturalization, USCIS form N-400, 90 days before completing the five years. Your mother can naturalize after just three years if she […]

Q. I was born in New York, but I left when I was 3 years old. My parents are originally from Africa. I came back to New York fourteen years later. Now I am 21. USCIS refuses to give me a green card, even though I have a birth certificate. I would like to know what’s the procedure to get a green card?

December 16, 2011 | Naturalization

A. Thanks for your question. Almost everyone who is born in the United States is a United States citizen. There is an exception for the children of diplomats who are born in the United States. Those children are granted permanent resident status at their birth. So unless your parents were diplomats, you are a citizen, […]

Q. I have a couple of questions about my daughter who came to the United States on November 2009 with a Visa B1/B2 and never returned to her country. She now needs to return to her country. Can I in the future fill the Form I-130 for her? Will she have the appointment for a Green Card? Will she need to fill out the Form I-601? My daughter is 12 years old. Thank you for your time.

November 18, 2011 | Family Petition, Immigrant Visas, Naturalization

A . If you are a U.S. citizen you may want to consider filing an application for permanent residence now. She can get travel permission as part of the application process.  Of course, if the USCIS approves her green card application before she leaves, she can return as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) or ‘”green […]