Q. I have been a permanent resident for over five years, and I’m legally married to a United States citizen. However, we’ve been separated for almost three years, and since then I’ve been filing taxes as single. Will that be an issue when I apply to become a citizen?

October 21, 2011 | Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A. The issue of taxes and naturalization pertains to the naturalization requirement that an applicant demonstrate that he or she is a person of good moral character for the statutory period. Because you have been a permanent resident for over five years, you can apply on your own. As long as you have paid taxes […]

Q. Can my friend naturalize despite having lost her green card? I’m a volunteer for CUNY Citizenship Now! One of my friends lost her wallet containing her permanent resident card. She came to the United States as a little girl. She’s now in her forties. She knows her alien number. Can she become a U.S. citizen without replacing her lost card?

August 19, 2011 | Legal Permanent Residents (LPR), Naturalization

A.  Your friend can naturalize without getting a new permanent resident card. Applying for U.S. citizenship will save her time and money. Some people are confused about this issue. That’s because if you ask USCIS if you must get a new green card when you lose one, the agency representatives say “yes.” The reason for […]