Temporary Protected Status

Various Issues Related to Temporary Protected Status

March 15, 2013 | Criminal Convictions, Family Petition, Temporary Protected Status

Q.  I’m Honduran, 26 years old. I have been in the United States since 2005. When I was crossing the border in 2005, immigration arrested me and released me after a few months. I was scheduled to go to immigration court, but I was too scared to attend. I was afraid I would be deported. […]

Q. I have Temporary Protected Status (TPS) right now since I am from El Salvador, but I just got married to a U.S. citizen. I would like to know what is the next step in order to obtain my green card? -Maria Tobar

April 20, 2012 | Adjustment of Status, Family Petition, Temporary Protected Status

A. If you entered legally, you qualify to adjust status, that is, interview here. Your husband can petition for you and in the same envelope, you can submit your application for permanent residence. If you entered the United States without speaking to an immigration officer, you have two possibilities. You can travel home with what […]

Q. I would like to know if a person who is a United States citizen and married to someone with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) can petition for a green card for the TPS holder. The person on TPS entered the U.S.A. without inspection. -Lilian

September 16, 2011 | Family Petition, Temporary Protected Status

A.  Hi Lilian, A U.S. citizen can petition for his/her noncitizen spouse and other Immediate Relatives.  One common concern is whether the spouse/immediate relative can interview in the United States, a process called “adjustment of status.”  For a spouse of a U.S. citizen or other immediate relative of a U.S. citizen to adjust status, the […]