January 14, 1997 | The University
A dozen prominent graduates of the colleges of The City University of New York are encouraging prospective students to attend CUNY in a series of public service announcements airing from now through April. The alumni range from top business executives and educators to an opera singer, an actor, authors and an astronaut.
The PSAs, which may be seen on Channel 75 in all five boroughs, have as their theme, “CUNY: The Best Investment in Your Future.” Interested individuals may call CUNY Admissions Services for information on academic programs at (212) 947-4800.
“As higher education takes on increasing importance in our changing and complex society, we welcome the support of these outstanding role models who speak eloquently on the value of a City University education,” said Chancellor W. Ann Reynolds.
Excerpts from the 12 statements are as follows:
- Robert Catell (City College) Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Brooklyn Union: “I depend upon CUNY senior colleges for the trained work force we at Brooklyn Union require to effectively serve New Yorkers.”
- Patrick Clark (New York City Technical College), Executive Chef, Tavern on the Green, and Michael Romano, Co-owner and Executive Chef, Union Square Cafe (NYCTC): “Thank you, City University…we couldn’t have done it without you.”
- Daniel Goldin (City College), head, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and Mario Runco (City College), astronaut: “With a City University degree, the sky’s the limit.”
- Oscar Hijuelos (City College), Pulitzer Prize winner for The Mambo Kings Sing Songs of Love: “Gracias, City University, for the skills and encouragement to write about my heritage. Gracias por todo–for everything!”
- Judd Hirsch (City College), actor: “City University prepares thousands for their roles in life.”
- Augusta Souza Kappner (Hunter College School of Social Work), President, Bank Street College of Education: “As past president of two CUNY colleges [Borough of Manhattan Community College; City College] and Assistant Secretary of Education for President Clinton, I know first-hand that the City University provides educational opportunities for all New Yorkers.”
- Nathan Leventhal (Queens College), President, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts: “Doctor, lawyer, singer, dancer, engineer, entrepreneur…City University is the place to get your start.”
- Regina Resnik (Hunter College), opera diva: “Remember, a City University degree is the foundation for your future.”
- Juliebeth Simmons (Queensborough Community College, ’96; current Queens College student, Homebound Program): “City University, thanks for helping me achieve my goals.”
- Edwin Torres (City College), New York State Supreme Court Justice; author, Carlito’s Way: “By day for more than 16 years, I’ve been a New York State Supreme Court Justice. At night, I write novels. Thanks to my education at City University, I am able to do both.”