City College President Dr. Yolanda T. Moses to Step Down After Six Years at Helm

July 6, 1999 | The University

Citing academic and personal reasons, Dr. Yolanda T. Moses, president of The City College of New York for the past six years, today announced her resignation, effective September 1, 1999, to pursue other interests.

“I have had the extraordinary good fortune to lead The City College for the past six years,” Dr. Moses said yesterday in her resignation letter from the 153-year-old institution.”I have worked hard to make City College one of America’s premier urban institutions of higher learning. I am confident that today’s students and recent graduates will prove to be worthy successors to their illustrious predecessors.”

In accepting Dr. Moses’ resignation, CUNY Interim Chancellor Christoph M. Kimmich said: “On behalf of the City University of New York, I want to express my appreciation for your dedication to The City College of New York and the educational mission of the University.”

In her letter of resignation Dr. Moses, a nationally respected cultural anthropologist and tenured professor at CCNY, also indicated the many academic and physical upgrades initiated during her tenure at the college.

• The $180 million renovation of six landmark neo-gothic buildings and a $65 million expansion and renovation of the School of Engineering.
  • Increased non-governmental fund raising to a record $17 million from 1996-1998.
  • Secured a CUNY record high $28 million in research grants.
  • Raising admission standards to better match students’ educational backgrounds to the college’s programs and to enhance the prospects of successful program completion.
  • Created new degree programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering.
  • Implemented a comprehensive plan to reorganize and strengthen the School of Education and to insure higher pass rates on State Teacher Certification Exams.

Dr. Moses added that “I have a fundamental belief in CCNY’s historic mission: that access to quality public higher education is a cornerstone of our democracy and contributes to a strong nation. New York’s financial investment in City College and CUNY has been paid back by alumni many times over.”