City University of New York Board of Trustees Names Dr. Matthew Goldstein New Chancellor

July 26, 1999 | The University

Dr. Matthew Goldstein was unanimously approved on July 22, 1999 as Chancellor of the City University of New York by its Board of Trustees, becoming the first CUNY graduate to lead the nation’s largest urban public university.

Effective September 6, Dr. Goldstein, a City College alumnus and prominent statistician, will succeed Dr. Christoph M. Kimmich who has served as Interim Chancellor of the University since December 1997. Dr. Goldstein’s appointment by the CUNY Board followed approval by CUNY’s Chancellor Search Committee, and a joint recommendation for the post by Governor George E Pataki and Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani earlier this week

“This is a wonderful honor for me to return to the University that provided me with the tools that launched my career and opened my eyes to wider worlds,” Dr. Goldstein said of his appointment. “CUNY is an extraordinary institution with limitless capabilities. I look at this appointment as an opportunity to be part of a process of renewal and change that gives current and future students an opportunity to change their lives for the better.”

Dr. Goldstein has been president of Adelphi University since June 1998 and served as president of Baruch College/CUNY from 1991 – 1998. He was CUNY’s Acting Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs from 1990-91 and was president of the Research Foundation of The City University of New York from 1982-1991, during which sponsored research grants increased from $70 million to more than $160 million annually.

Following the CUNY Board vote, Chairman Herman Badillo said, ” I am confident that Matt Goldstein will now be able to move CUNY forward with the agenda we have outlined. From his many years as president of Baruch College, I know he is a strong individual who cares deeply about CUNY.”

In addition to his wide-ranging administrative experience, Dr. Goldstein has held faculty positions in mathematics at a number of different universities and has been a Professor of Statistics at Baruch College and a member of the CUNY doctoral faculty since 1978. In addition, he serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of both the Albert Einstein School of Medicine and Bronx–Lebanon Medical Center.

Dr. Goldstein is a director of Health-Chem Corporation, a director of Audits and Surveys Worldwide, is a member the American Council on Education’s Commission on Leadership Development and was recently appointed to the New York State Education Commissioner’s Advisory Council on Higher Education.

He has previously served on the Advisory Council on Economic Information and Research of the New York State Department of Economic Development, the New York State Senate Higher Education Committee’s Advisory Committee, the Board of Directors and Research Policy Committee of the Council on Research and Technology and the New York City Partnership’ s Technology Executive Council.

Dr. Goldstein earned his doctorate in mathematical statistics from the University of Connecticut, his Master’s degree from Rutgers University and is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and the Golden Key Honor Society. He was the 1994 recipient of the Jewish National Fund Tree of Life Award.

Dr. Goldstein’s research specialty is discrete multivariate analysis, particularly the modeling of cross-classified categorical arrays and discrimination procedures and applying the data analytic procedures to natural, behavioral and social sciences. He is co-author of three books on statistical theory and methods and author or co-author of numerous articles in leading journals in applied and mathematical statistics.