Record Number of Job Recruiters Pursue 5,000 CUNY Grads At CUNY Big Apple Job Fair at Jacob Javits Center

April 11, 2000 | The University

The largest number of employers in the 12-year history of The City University of New York’s Big Apple Job Fair gathered at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan on April 6 for the chance to recruit over 5,000 CUNY graduating students and recent alumni.

Joseph Grano, President of PaineWebber Incorporated, one of the nation’s leading full-service securities firms, was the keynote speaker at a kick-off breakfast for employers. He said, “The vitality of my firm, my city and my country is heavily dependent on the quality of our youth. That is what got us here in the first place — those aspiring young immigrants whose succeeding generations embraced the opportunities that our country and great city afforded them. The new generation will fulfill the jobs of the new economy and the new generation will be dominated by today’s minorities. We have the human resources here today — two hundred thousand students enrolled in The City University of New York who will be in demand, who will be given unprecedented opportunities and choice. They will be courted by neighboring states and cities and, I can assure you, by neighboring competitors. We as employers must keep them here, inculcate them in our respective firms and prepare them to inherit, maintain and grow our legacy.”

Among other distinguished speakers were CUNY Trustee Kathleen M. Pesile and CUNY Chancellor Matthew Goldstein.

Chancellor Goldstein said, “CUNY students are enormously talented, well prepared and most have work experience. They possess the skills that companies and agencies attending the Job Fair will need in order to succeed in the fast-paced knowledge-based world of the 21st Century.”

This year’s first-time participants at the all-day event included ChaseMellon Shareholder Services; ComScan; Comverse Network Systems; Keyspan Energy; LeBouef, Lamb, Greene, McRae LLP; LSG Sky Chefs; Tiffany & Co. and United Healthcare of New York, among many new as well as returning employers. Jobs offered included software developers, electrical engineers, teachers, nurses, stockbrokers, accountants and director of e-commerce, among many others.

The Job Fair, administered by CUNY’s Office of Student Affairs and the CUNY Career Counseling and Placement Association, is designed to give CUNY students a head start on their careers and access to a large and diversified group of major employers.