A Letter from Chancellor Goldstein about the Chancellor’s Forum on the CUNY Master Plan

May 26, 2000 | The University

Members and Friends of The City University of New York Community:

As I indicated at the May 22, 2000 meeting of the Board of Trustees, I have scheduled a Chancellor’s Forum from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on both Thursday, June 15 and Friday, June 16. It will take place in the Board Room at 535 East 80th Street. The Forum is intended to provide those individuals who may not have had the opportunity to express their views on The City University of New York Master Plan through various college and University channels a chance to share their ideas.

The Master Plan is available on the CUNY Web Site at www.cuny.edu, and copies may be obtained through the Office of the Chancellor, 212-794-5423.

My intention is to host the Forum as a Town Meeting. I will make an opening statement and entertain questions and comments. If you wish to participate or attend the Forum, please let my office know by Monday, June 11, so we may make appropriate arrangements.

I am deeply grateful to all of the individuals and groups who participated in the development of the Master Plan, including the many people within and external to the University who worked with Vice Chancellor Louise Mirrer, and those who gave testimony at the May 15 Public Hearing sponsored by the Board of Trustees. The Plan is, along with the University Budget Request, the most important statement from the University regarding the future directions to be pursued by the Board of Trustees. I do want to emphasize, however, that the Plan envisions much discussion and consultation over the next four years as specific objectives are refined and modified to meet our overall goal of providing the best possible education to the people of New York.

I look forward to seeing you on Thursday, June 15 and Friday, June 16.

Sincerely,
Matthew Goldstein

The City University of New York is the nation’s leading urban public university. Founded in New York City in 1847 as The Free Academy, the University’s 23 institutions include 11 senior colleges, six community colleges, the William E. Macaulay Honors College at CUNY, the Graduate School and University Center, the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, the CUNY School of Law, the CUNY School of Professional Studies and the CUNY School of Public Health. The University serves 260,000 academic credit students and 269,808 adult, continuing and professional education students. College Now, the University’s academic enrichment program for 32,500 high school students, is offered at CUNY campuses and more than 300 high schools throughout the five boroughs of New York City. The University offers online baccalaureate degrees through the School of Professional Studies and an individualized baccalaureate through the CUNY Baccalaureate Degree. More than 1 million visitors and 2 million page views are served each month by www.cuny.edu, the University’s website.