Councilwoman Helen Marshall and CUNY Co-Sponsor College Information Fair On Saturday, December 16, 2000

December 13, 2000 | The University

New York City Councilwoman Helen Marshall and The City University of New York are co-sponsoring a CUNY College Information Fair in Corona, Queens, to be held on Saturday, December 16, 2000 at 11 A.M. at the Louis Armstrong Middle School I.S. 227.

The four-hour event is open to all who are seeking higher educational opportunities at the University’s senior colleges, community colleges, graduate center, law school and medical school.

Chancellor Matthew Goldstein and Councilwoman Marshall, who chairs the New York City Council Higher Education Committee, will address the attendees and answer questions. The presidents of CUNY colleges in Queens–Queens College Interim President Russell K. Hotzler, Queensborough Community College President Eduardo J. Marti, York College President Charles C. Kidd, Sr., LaGuardia Community College President Gail O. Mellow–are expected to attend.

“Throughout the decades, the City University has provided outstanding educational opportunity for many New Yorkers,” Councilwoman Marshall said. “CUNY is still the very best bet for New Yorkers educationally and economically. I, too, cherish my CUNY degree. It has been an invaluable asset to me both personally and professionally.” The Councilwoman further noted that the CUNY Information Fair is an “opportunity for Queens high school students to gain first hand knowledge about the educational opportunities within the City University system.”

Information will also be available on English as a Second Language programs, CUNY’s language immersion program and basic skills immersion program and evaluation of degrees and credits obtained abroad.

Counselors will be available for one-on-one sessions with prospective students to discuss specific programs and to provide information on financial aid and scholarships, freshman admissions, transfers and graduate applications and certificate programs. Refreshments will be available.

Allan Wernick, Director of CUNY’s Citizenship Project and author of a weekly newspaper column offering advice on citizenship, will answer similar questions for prospective students of CUNY.

The Louis Armstrong Middle School I.S. 227 is located at 32-02 Junction Blvd. Take the 7 train to Junction Boulevard or the E, F, G, or R trains to 74th Street and Roosevelt Avenue. Free shuttle buses will be available from both train stations.

Further details regarding the City University are available in a new publication “Study With the Best,” a college and career guide on the web at www.cuny.edu/best or by calling toll-free 1-866-CUNY-YES.