Statement by Chancellor Matthew Goldstein On the Passing of Lew Rudin

September 21, 2001 | The University

Lew Rudin personified all that is good about New York City. He was an extraordinary champion for the City he loved and a strong and steadfast friend of The City University of New York. He was my dear friend for more than a quarter of a century.

CUNY in particular has long been a beneficiary of Lew Rudin and the Rudin family’s advice, generosity and public spirit. He served as Chairman of the CUNY Business Leadership Council. The Rudin family’s most recent gift included scholarships for the City College of New York Biomedical Program, with the direction that they be offered first to New York City students. They funded internships in new media at Borough of Manhattan Community College, as well as scholarships in nursing at Hunter College and Bronx Community College. At City College, first attended by their father, Samuel, the Rudin family established the Samuel Rudin Distinguished Visiting Scholars, the Samuel Rudin Scholarships, major grants for upgrade of computer resources and support of the Colin Powell Center for Policy Studies.

In December 2000 I presented The Chancellor’s Medal to Lew and his brother Jack. They worked as a team in all their good deeds. The University was honored to recognize their many years of support and encouragement in advancing excellence and opportunity at CUNY.

I offer my heartfelt condolences to his entire family. He will be sorely missed.