DONALD H. SMITH DISTINGUISHED LECTURE

NEW YORK, November 10, 2005 – Noted political scientist and author Dr. Ronald W. Walters will give the tenth annual Donald H. Smith Distinguished Lecture entitled: “Is Freedom Enough?” on November 16, at Baruch College.

“In my lecture, I will examine why the tremendous progress we have made with voting has not resulted in the returns from government that we expected, and I will analyze what actions are necessary to achieve full empowerment from the vote, addressing black presidential politics, black voter mobilization and leverage politics,” Professor Walters said.

Prominent Analyst Of African American Politics
Will Give 10th Annual Donald H. Smith Distinguished Lecture:

“Is Freedom Enough?” by Dr. Ronald W. Walters

DATE/TIME: Wednesday, November 16, 2005, 6:00 p.m. Sharp
151 East 25th Street (bet. Lexington & 3rd Avenues)
Conference Center, 7th Floor

ADMISSSION: Free and Open to the Public. Book signing 5- 6 pm.

Dr. Walters, a political scientist, is professor of government and politics and
director of the African American Leadership Institute at the University of
Maryland in College Park. He is the author of Freedom Is Not Enough: Black Voters, Black Candidates, and American Presidential Politics (Rowman and Littlefield, 2005) andWhite Nationalism, Black Interests (Wayne State University Press, 2003). An analyst of African-American politics, Dr. Walters appears frequently on local and national TV.

The Donald Smith Distinguished Lecture series honors the longtime Chair of Baruch College’s former education department. A noted African-American educator, Dr. Smith also served the College as associate provost.

For Immediate Release