Hunter Women’s Tennis Claims Seventh Straight Conference Title

Top-seeded Hunter Hawks (19-0) won their seventh straight CUNYAC Women’s Tennis Championships, defeating the No. 2 seeded Baruch Bearcats 8-1 at the U.S. National Tennis Center on Saturday, October 21.

The victory gives the Hawks the conference’s first automatic bid to the NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships, which will be held this spring, as well as the first undefeated season in program history.

“I’m very proud of this team for finishing the season undefeated and accomplishing our goal of earning a bid to the NCAAs,” said Hunter head coach Mel Kerper. “It’s a very exciting step for our program, which will now be able to attract more top players and become more of a metropolitan power.”

Sophomore Monica Calungcagin was named the Tournament Most Valuable Player for the second consecutive season after avenging her only conference loss of the campaign to Baruch sophomore Kateryna Pylypyshyna, 6-4, 6-2. “We’ re very evenly matched and it was a fight to the end,” said Calungcagin. “Losing to her earlier in the season definitely helped motivate me to defeat her today.”

Hunter opened the match by taking all three doubles points to position Baruch into a quick hole. The Hawks then put the match away by winning five of the six singles matches.

“I think that our team learned a valuable lesson today,” said Kerper. “We may have underestimated Baruch a bit, as we trailed early in several matches today. They were very competitive and fought very hard. It was good to see our team turn things around, but we will need to play harder when the NCAA Tournament comes around.”