Hunter MFA Student Selected as Jacob K. Javits Fellow

Aida Sehovic, a first year student in Hunter’s MFA program, has been awarded the prestigious Jacob K. Javits Fellowship from the U.S. Department of Education. This fellowship provides financial support to students of superior academic ability who are undertaking study at the doctoral and master’s level in selected fields of the arts, humanities, and social sciences.

Fellows are chosen on the basis of demonstrated achievement, financial need, and exceptional promise. In addition to a stipend, they receive funds covering tuition and related fees for a year, renewable annually for up to three additional years. Approximately 65 candidates are selected in this nationwide competition, and Sehovic is honored to be one of them.

“I am more than happy and feel so grateful,” she said.

Sehovic is interested in making work of a performative nature that brings her audience directly into her creations. Currently influenced by her cultural traditions, beliefs, and political concerns, Sehovic has a wide range of experiences from which to draw. Born and raised in Bosnia and Herzegovina, she left her home country at the age of 15 as a war refugee, and lived in Turkey and Germany prior to coming to the United States. Sehovic feels a sense of fulfillment with regards to where she now finds herself.

“Ever since coming to Hunter, I finally feel that I am in the right place at the right time, doing what I love to do.”