Baruch College Team Wins National Student Advertising Regional Finals and Will Compete for the National Title

May 1, 2007—The Baruch College team competing in the American Advertising Federation’s (AAF) annual National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC) placed ahead of 11 other colleges to win their regional district, a first for the College. The win means Baruch has a shot at a national victory. The winning team in each district and one wild card team will advances to compete nationally at the AAF National Conference in June, being held this year in Louisville, Kentucky.

“The dedication, tenacity, creativity, and insight of these students is equivalent to many of the professionals I have worked with during my 30 years in advertising,” said team advisor Bill Heath, a professor of marketing at Baruch’s Zicklin School of Business. He emphasized, “Chair Myung-Soo Lee has been so very helpful.”

Dubbed CHAOS! Advertising, and comprised of 14 Baruch marketing students, the team faced direct competition from colleges and universities such as FIT, Pace, and Hofstra. Baruch was the venue for the event, which took place last weekend.

Each year, a corporate sponsor provides a case study outlining the history of its product and its current, real world advertising situation. Students must research the product and its competition, identify potential problem areas and devise a completely integrated communications campaign, which students then pitch to a panel of judges. This year the product was Coca-Cola Classic. The team’s winning strategy was to make Coca-Cola Classic more relevant to the 13-24 year-old multicultural generation by positioning Coke as young and refreshing. The judges were especially impressed with the level of marketing integration the campaign offered.

“I am very thrilled that our team won this nationally renowned competition and that Baruch was the site of their victory,” said Baruch College President Kathleen Waldron. “I know that the students will benefit greatly from this experience.”

“In my mind, winning NSAC is the equivalent of winning a championship in any Division 1 Sports competition,” said team member Juan Cano. “I hope our regional NSAC triumph is the beginning of a Baruch legacy.”

Contact: Professor Bill Heath, Baruchbill@yahoo.com (646) 312-3283, or Lara Moon, Communications & Marketing, (646) 660-6093.