Queensborough President Dr. Eduardo J. Marti Appointed by Governor Spitzer to New State Higher Education Commission

Dr. Marti to Represent Community Colleges in New York State and the Borough of Queens

Eduardo J. Marti, Ph.D., President of Queensborough Community College, has been appointed to New York Governor Eliot Spitzer’s newly-formed Higher Education Commission. Among the thirty chosen members of the Commission, Dr. Marti and Dr. Marcia Keizs, President of York College, are the only two CUNY presidents, as well as the only two presidents from colleges in Queens. They join CUNY Chancellor Matthew Goldstein, in representing CUNY on the Commission, along with a faculty member and a student from CUNY colleges.

Governor Spitzer’s goal for the Commission is to identify and promote ways of improving the quality of higher education in New York and to continue to produce a highly skilled workforce. (Governor’s Press Release – “Governor Forms State Higher Education Commission,” May 29, 2007 – http://www.ny.gov/governor/press/0529071.html) As the only representative of the 36 community colleges across New York State, Dr. Marti’s insight and vision on the integral role of community colleges in workforce development will be a valuable contribution. Specific outcomes of the Commission will be to make recommendations on preparing community college graduates for a smooth transition to four-year institutions and/or obtain high value jobs upon graduation, as well as improving graduation rates.

“I am deeply honored that the Governor has appointed me to his Higher Education Commission. I look forward to serving on the Commission along with my York College colleague, Marcia Keizs, to the best of my abilities, and keeping the interest of the students of Queens County, New York City and the State of New York foremost in my mind,” says Dr. Marti.

New York State’s higher education system is among the world’s largest, educating more than 1 million degree candidates across its 237 public, private and city campuses. The thirty members of the Commission represent the public colleges and universities of the State University of New York (“SUNY”), the City University of New York (“CUNY”) and the State’s private colleges and universities.

A prominent educator for over 25 years, and Queensborough’s President for seven years, Dr. Marti is three times a graduate of New York University, where he earned B.A., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in biology. He was appointed Chair of the CUNY Council of Presidents Finance Committee in 2003, and in November 2006, he had the distinction of being asked by the transition team for then New York Governor-Elect Eliot Spitzer to serve on an Education Policy Advisory Committee.