John Jay and Greek Ministry of Public Order’s Center for Security Studies To Work together on Global Governance

Athens, Greece, June 11, 2007 — Jeremy Travis, President of John Jay College of Criminal Justice and Ambassador Leonidas Evangelidis today formally signed an agreement outlining the College’s partnership with the Center for Security Studies (KE.ME.A) at the Greek Ministry of Public Order on “Policing Across Borders: Strengthening the Role of Law Enforcement in Global Governance,” a project made possible through a grant from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation.

“This is a great day for John Jay and the Greek Ministry,” said President Travis at the signing ceremony. “Thanks to the generosity of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, we are able to launch what I hope is but the beginning of a long and productive partnership that will foster greater cooperation between nations on critical law enforcement challenges to the global community.”

The signing ceremony took place in the “Pavlos Bakoyannis” Hall of the Ministry of Public Order in the presence of the Minister, Mr. Vyron Polydoras, the Chief of the Greek Police, Mr. Anastasios Dimoschakis, and the leadership of the National Intelligence Agency.

According to the agreement, the first part of this project will consist of a series of workshops that will bring together law enforcement officers from Greece and the wider Balkan region to examine key challenges confronting the law enforcement community in dealing with three key transnational threats: terrorism, drug trafficking, and human trafficking and migrant smuggling. The second part will support development of a mid-career level scholarship program at John Jay for the graduate studies of Greek law enforcement officers to be selected by KE.ME.A. Professor George Andreopoulos, Director of the Center for International Human Rights at John Jay College, will direct this project. The initial duration of this agreement is for three years.

In addition, John Jay College and KE.ME.A. have expressed intent to pursue the following activities: (1) cooperate on other research projects and on the publication of the findings. Topics of mutual interest may include Transnational Crime and Terrorism, Homeland Security, Human Rights in Law Enforcement, New Security Technologies, Emerging Security Threats, and Emergency Planning; (2) co-sponsor academic seminars and conferences at John Jay and at KE.ME.A.; and (3) cooperate on practical workshops and simulation exercises.

This partnership signals the first time that the Greek Ministry of Public Order advances — through KE.ME.A — international academic and research initiatives in the area of security. In the past, the Ministry’s international initiatives in this area had focused primarily on operational issues.

About John Jay College of Criminal Justice: An international leader in educating for justice, John Jay College of Criminal Justice of The City University of New York offers a rich liberal arts and professional studies curriculum to upwards of 14,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 135 nations. In teaching, scholarship and research, the College approaches justice as an applied art and science in service to society and as an ongoing conversation about fundamental human desires for fairness, equality and the rule of law. For more information, visit www.jjay.cuny.edu.

For More Information Call:
Chris Godek 212-237-8628
Doreen Vinas 212-237-8645