Baruch College held Reunion 2007 this weekend for more than 175 Baruchians and their guests. It was the 70th reunion for the Class of 1937, the 60th reunion for the Class of 1947, the 50th reunion for the Class of 1957, the 40th reunion for the Class of 1967, and the 25th reunion for the Class of 1982.
The Director of the Office of Alumni Relations, Lisa Poullard-Burton ’90, said, “It was great to see the alums have such a good time. Reunion 2007 was really social, with lots of mingling.”
The event began with tours of the campus led by current students. For some alumni, it was their first chance to see the Newman Library, which opened in 1994, and the Newman Vertical Campus, which opened in 2001. An all-class reunion ceremony and dinner-dance followed a cocktail reception. Alumni had a chance to look at memorabilia from their college days including yearbooks, archival photos, and artifacts from Baruch’s history. Alumni were also invited to enjoy a number of events taking place on campus this weekend, such as a dance performance at the Baruch Performing Arts Center, a photography exhibition at the Sidney Mishkin Gallery, and an open house for the School of Public Affairs’ Executive Masters of Public Administration program.
Part of reunion tradition is to reserve a special part of the program for recognition of alumni allegiance and distinction. The College honored 12 alumni for their exceptional accomplishments in their chosen fields, their support and dedication to Baruch, and their ongoing involvement with the College. In addition, this year, for the first time, the college bestowed the William and Anita Newman Medal for Philanthropy in recognition of extraordinary, leadership-level generosity to Baruch College. The award is named after William Newman ’47, LLD (Hon.) ’97 and his wife Anita, dedicated friends and benefactors of the College.
President Waldron said, “In the long and distinguished history of Baruch there are certain pivotal figures who have done just the right thing at just the right time to propel Baruch to a level of excellence and regard. Bill and Anita Newman made Baruch College part of their family by lending their name to our Vertical Campus, our Library, our Conference Center and our Real Estate Programs. Their vision for the future and their extraordinary generosity raised our sights and our ambitions.”
“In choosing the first recipients of this honor we considered those individuals who have what we think of as the Newman ethic: like Bill and Anita Newman, the recipients insist that the College keep competitive, innovative, and vital in its scholarship and service to its students,” continued President Waldron.
In 2007, Baruch recognized Lawrence Zicklin ’57, LHD (Hon.) ’99 and Carol Zicklin with this honor.
The following testimonials are excerpted from the Reunion 2007 program.
William and Anita Newman Medal for Philanthropy
Lawrence Zicklin ’57, LHD (Hon.) ’99 and Carol Zicklin
The very first recipients for the Newman Medal for Philanthropy are the College’s dear friends and benefactors, Larry and Carol Zicklin. Larry’s generosity to Baruch began when he selflessly credited his success in life to the education he received and the enduring relationships he made at Baruch. Larry and Carol have always remembered their roots. They have upheld the values and core mission of public education in exceptional ways.
When Larry visited the Baruch campus in 1996, he was galvanized by the energy and motivation of the students and by the College’s unwavering commitment to provide excellent, affordable education. His immediate response was to make a generous gift to the Campaign for Baruch in honor of his friend, partner, and fellow Baruch alumnus, Marvin Schwartz. In 1998, Larry became a Trustee of The Baruch College Fund, and from 2001 to 2003, he served as the fund’s president. With our gratitude, Larry once again serves as the fund’s president.
In 1998 Larry and Carol made an historic gift to the College that has helped elevate the quality of a Baruch education in unprecedented ways. To honor their generosity and ongoing commitment to public higher education, the Board of Trustees of The City University of New York approved the naming in perpetuity of the Zicklin School of Business. Today, the Zicklin School is the largest and one of the most esteemed business schools in the country, and the value of a Baruch degree is at an all-time high.
Larry and Carol then endowed the Center for Financial Integrity, named for Larry’s cousin Robert Zicklin. Larry said, “Bob was in the best sense a stickler for ethics and the law; he never cut corners, he always played down the middle, and for me he was the model of integrity.” The Robert Zicklin Center for Corporate Integrity is a forum for discussing a broad range of contemporary issues confronting U.S. corporations and capital markets, including transparency of corporate reporting and corporate governance. It is known among corporate leaders, regulators, scholars and Baruch students for its conferences on subjects ranging from executive compensation to the strategic role of the board.
Larry and Carol continue to anticipate and meet the College’s needs. They have endowed the Lawrence and Carol Zicklin Chair in Corporate Integrity and Governance, and they have established the Zicklin Strategic Impact Fund to support special initiatives at the business school.
In deeply-felt recognition of their continued support and extraordinary commitment to the values of philanthropy, public service, and personal morality, we are delighted to bestow the William and Anita Medal for Philanthropy on Larry and Carol. You have had a profound influence on the lives of many.
Alumni Allegiance Awards
Alumni Allegiance Award recognizes alumni who have demonstrated consistent loyalty and service to Baruch College. In 2007, Baruch recognized the following alumni with this honor: Eillen R. Cohen MBA ’82, Herbert I. Levitt ’67, M. Freddie Reiss ’67, MBA ’00, Lewis M. Weston ’47, and Barbara Yospe ’57.
Eileen R. Cohen, MBA ’82
An active and enthusiastic mentor in both Baruch College’s Executive’s on Campus program and Executive Student Partnership and a Career Hour panelist, Eileen R. Cohen is a managing director and senior client portfolio manager in JPMorgan Asset Management’s U.S. equity group and previously worked for Chancellor Capital Management and its successor, INVESCO, Inc. She has had articles published in Financial Advisor Magazine and is on the boards of Project Grad and the Farmingdale State University Foundation.
Herbert I. Levitt ‘67
Herb Levitt’s distinguished service on the Baruch College Fund Board began in 1994, and he has remained an active and generous alumnus since that time establishing the Herb Levitt Technology Integration Fund, facilitating a major grant to fund a laptop loaner program and maintaining membership in the 17 Lex Society. Levitt is a former general partner with Spear, Leeds & Kellogg. He began his career with Oppenheim, Appel, Dixon & Co., rising to partner and served as a director of Securities Industry Automation Corp. and the National Securities Clearing Corp.
M. Freddie Reiss ’67, MBA ’00
A member of the Baruch College Fund Board since 2001, a member of the Baruch-in-California Alumni Steering Committee and a generous donor and longstanding 17 Lex Society member, Freddie Reiss is a senior managing director in FTI’s corporate finance practice in Los Angeles. He is a national bankruptcy litigation leader with 25 years of experience and a recognized expert in the field of financial restructuring. Prior to joining FTI, he was a partner and west region leader at PricewaterhousCoopers. Freddie serves on the boards of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the American College of Bankruptcy and the Los Angeles Venture Association, where he also served as President.
Lewis M. Weston ’47
Lewis M. Weston’s dedication to Baruch spans over 50 years. From 1954 to 1955 he was an adjunct professor of economics at Baruch and as early as 1964 he was a guest lecturer on campus, a commitment that has spanned the decades, returning most recently in 2002. He generously established the Lewis M. Weston Fund which supports faculty excellence in the Zicklin School of Business, and he remains a longstanding member of the 17 Lex Society. A retired partner of Goldman Sachs, he joined the firm in 1951, became a partner in 1957 and limited partner in 1978. He also served as a member of the board of governors of the National Association of Securities Dealers. Currently, he is a board member of the Thai Prime Fund, Singapore, as well as a member of the International Advisory Board of Banco Finantia, Lisbon, Portugal.
Barbara Yospe ‘57
For many alumni, Barbara Yospe’s name is synonymous with Baruch-In-Florida. As its founding president, she led Baruch’s largest alumni chapter for over a decade, coordinating countless events and engaging hundreds of alumni. Barbara’s retirement from the presidency has been an active one as she continues to contribute her time and energy and is chairing the January 2008 Baruch-in-Florida East luncheon. Barbara also served on the Board of the Baruch College Fund until 1989.
Alumnus of Distinction Awards
Alumnus of Distinction Award recognizes alumni who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in their careers or community. In 2007, Baruch recognized the following alumni with this honor: Harold “Hank” K. Bell ’47, Hal H. Beretz ’57, Albert A. Compitello ’82, Joseph Macnow ’67, Stephen T. Mann ’57, and Henry “Hank” B. Schram ’67.
Harold K. “Hank” Bell ‘47
Harold K. Bell has had a distinguished career as a builder, consultant and educator and is professor emeritus in the MS Real Estate Development Program at Columbia University, where he joined the faculty in 1978 and also served as director of Urban Action and Experimental Programs. Currently Professor Bell is a thesis advisor and teaches Development Opportunities, a course on entrepreneurship. He is widely published and was recently honored with the establishment of the Harold Bell Fellowship for Entrepreneurship at Columbia. Bell previously won the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s “Operation Breakthrough” Award for his efforts in stimulating the private housing industry by promoting volume industrialized housing production, particularly through modular construction. Mr. Bell is a member of Baruch’s 17 Lex Society.
Hal H. Beretz ’57
Hal H. Beretz is a principal and founder of the international consulting firm of Tendler Beretz LLC (along with Baruch alumnus David Tendler ’59). He started his career at Philipp Brothers in 1957, rising to the position of Deputy Chairman. He served as president and chief operating officer of Phibro-Salomon, Inc., from 1981 until leaving the firm in 1984. He is a lifetime member of the director’s table of Beta Gamma Sigma. Hal is active in various philanthropic organizations including Chairman of the Board of Governors for five years of Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem. He has served for 34 years on the Board of Directors of Yeshiva University and is the founding Chairman of the Sy Syms School of Business at Yeshiva.
Albert A. Compitello ‘82
Albert A. Compitello is co-chairman and chief executive officer of Momentum Resource Solutions, a leading provider of technology, financial and human resource staffing and consulting services and solutions. He joined Momentum after having served in a number of senior level positions at various investment banking firms including president and chief operating officer of C.E. Unterberg Towbin. Compitello also served as managing director and chief operating officer of the equity division of Cowen and Company, chief operating officer of a major New York based direct access trading firm, and chief operating officer of the equity division and managing director of Schroder & Co. Inc.
Joseph Macnow ’67
Joseph Macnow is executive vice president – finance and administration and chief financial officer of Vornado Realty Trust. Prior to his 25-year tenure there, he was vice president, chief financial officer of City Stores Company, and, earlier, audit manager with Ernst & Young. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the Financial Executives Institute. In 2005 the Bergen Museum of Art & Science named him the museum’s Person of the Year. He’s been a participant in Baruch’s Executives on Campus program and is a member of The Steven L. Newman Real Estate Institute’s Advisory Board and Baruch’s 17 Lex Society.
Stephen T. Mann ‘57
Stephen T. Mann is chairman of the board of Prescott Capital LLC, a mortgage banking firm. He previously was chief executive officer of Prescott Funding Company, chairman of the Clifford Companies, and chief operating officer of Alexanders, Inc., a real estate trust. He was also chairman of the board of directors of Alexanders, Inc. from 1994 to 2004. He served as finance chairman for Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan. After graduating from Baruch College, he attended Yale Law School where he was president of the law review. He is a member of Baruch’s 17 Lex Society.
Henry “Hank” B. Schram ’67
Hank Schram has been the senior vice president and chief accounting officer at the Chubb Corporation, the 11th largest U.S. property and casualty insurance group, for the past 20 years, having joined the company in 1979. Previously, he spent ten years in public accounting with Arthur Young & Company. He is active in local youth sports programs in his community, has spoken on campus through Baruch’s Executives on Campus program and is a 17 Lex Society member.
As part of Reunion 2007 weekend, Baruch inducted the following outstanding student athletes, coaches, and staff members from Baruch’s sporting history into Baruch College’s Athletic Hall of Fame:
Peter Lewison (fencing)
Bill Eng (current athletic administrator and former coach of men’s soccer, women’s cross county and women’s tennis)
Scott Losche (baseball)
Irina Shinderman (women’s tennis)
Helen Belden (former athletic administrator and former coach of archery)
John Steuer (men’s basketball)
Aziza Mashariki (cheerleading)