Hunter Science Student Wins Award at Research Conference

December 12, 2007 | Hunter College

Hunter College student Asif Rahman received a prestigious award for outstanding scientific presentation at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students held in Austin in November.

Rahman – a junior with a triple major in biology, political science and Thomas Hunter special honors – won for his project studying factors that play a role in hypertension and epilepsy. His research was conducted under the supervision of Dr. Steven Marx, a professor of medicine and pharmacology at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons. Rahman is also currently in his second year of studying cancer under the mentoring of Hunter’s Dr. Derrick Brazill.

“After graduating I plan on going on to MD/PhD programs with the ultimate goal of being both a physician and a scientist, specializing in cardiology,” Rahman said. “If there is one thing I would like to say about my experience and success thus far, I attribute a large part of it to the outstanding mentoring that I’ve received from individuals like Dr. Brazill and Dr. Marx. They’ve played a major role in helping me develop the necessary skills to succeed in the research community.”

The conference is designed to encourage under-represented minority students to pursue advanced training in the biomedical and behavioral sciences.