Baruch College’s Ticker 75th Anniversary Event Wins Alumni Relations Award

December 13, 2007 | Baruch College

Baruch College alumni who attended the 75th anniversary celebration of The Ticker dubbed the well-attended June 6 gala reception the college’s event of the year. Now, the Council for Advancement and Support of Education has made that title official. The organization, an international association of university fundraising and alumni relations professionals, has awarded the event its 2008 CASE District II Gold Medal for Alumni Relations Programming. Baruch the only college in its division to receive the honor.

“I am absolutely ecstatic about the award. The event was very close to my heart because I worked on the paper myself when I was a student at Baruch,” said Lisa Poullard-Burton (’90), the college’s director of alumni relations and the main organizer of the festivities. “People flooded us with memories and stories, which were incredibly helpful in planning what sort of event we needed to pull together.”

First published on May 7, 1932, The Ticker quickly became a fixture of campus culture by printing students’ perspectives on some of the most pressing economic and social issues of the day. It even developed an international audience during World War II, when the newspaper was mailed to enlisted students abroad as a way to keep them informed on campus affairs. An online archive of the newspaper is available at http://history.baruch.cuny.edu/.

The newspaper also functioned as a training ground for a range of talented alumni who went on to become notable journalists, including Stewart Kampel (’59), a retired editor at the New York Times; Hasani Gittens (’02), a reporter for the New York Post; and Caitlin Mollison (’90), managing editor of Crain’s Investment News. They all attended the reunion and participated in a ‘Meet The Press’-style panel discussion at the anniversary event. Professor Roslyn Bernstein, The Ticker’s faculty adviser for more than 15 years, moderated the discussion.

For photographs and more information about the 75th anniversary celebration, visit the event’s photo gallery. A special issue of Baruch College Alumni Magazine devoted to reminiscences from generations of Ticker reporters, editors, and cartoonists is available at http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/magazine/sum07/cover.html.

Olayinka Fadahunsi
Office of Communications and Marketing