Pinning Ceremony Held at Kingsborough

December 17, 2007 | Kingsborough Community College

On Monday, December 17, sixty-eight nursing and 14 surgical technology graduates, one of the Nursing Department’s largest classes, crossed the stage of the Kingsborough Community College (KCC) Performing Arts Center to receive their pins and congratulations from college administrators, professors, family and friends.
“I encourage you to celebrate enthusiastically tonight. I join you in your celebration because as much as your graduation is an individual achievement for each and every one of you, it is also an achievement for this college. I know that each of you has been guided down that road by some of the most dedicated educational professionals I know—the members of the Kingsborough Nursing faculty,” said Dr. Regina Peruggi, president, KCC.
“Its been estimated that there
will be 120,000 job openings per year for nurses through the year 2014. However, our schools are only producing approximately 85,000 graduates per year. For you graduates, this is pretty good news.”
Professor Dolores Shrimpton, chairperson, Department of Nursing, pridefully congratulated the graduates on their achievement, noting that the Nursing Department has doubled its enrollment over the past few semesters and the Surgical Technology program is now fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
This is the second graduating class for the Surgical Technology program; its first was held in December, 2006. The program has doubled in number since it began.
Nursing graduates Tracey-Anne Barnett, Cristina Palmeri, Keith Olson, Yasmin Talbot and surgical technology graduate Keisha-Lou McKenzie spoke about their journeys and extended their gratitude to the professors who provided extraordinary support and encouragement during their studies at Kingsborough.
The pins were presented by Dr. Joanne Lavin, Professor Barbara Gattullo, Professor Coleen Kumar and Professor Denise Giachetta-Ryan.
The graduates recited the traditional Nightingale Pledge which was led by nursing graduate Jennifer Reiser and surgical technology graduate Joy Codrington.
Graduates who pass the National Council Licensure Examination-Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN) are provided a license to practice as a registered nurse and surgical technology graduates can take a national certification examination which provides them Certified Surgical Technology credentials, demonstrating that they have achieved knowledge and skills beyond their academic credentials. They are also key member of the surgical team.
Fourteen of the graduates were honors students.

718-368-5543