Executive Vice Chancellor Botman to Head USM

Chancellor Matthew Goldstein announced today that Dr. Selma Botman has accepted the position as President of the University of Southern Maine (USM), effective July 1, 2008.

Since 2004 Dr. Botman has served as Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and University Provost, the chief academic officer in charge of guiding academic policy for CUNY’s 23 colleges and professional schools.

Chancellor Goldstein stated: “I am very happy for you and wish you all the success you deserve in your future presidency.” He added that “your work has been exemplary, and both the University and I owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude. You will be sorely missed.”

With more than 14,000 students, USM is one of seven institutions in the University of Maine System.

Dr. Botman said: “Thank you especially for giving me this wonderful opportunity to lead the academic core at CUNY. I have grown professionally and personally as a result of my work here and I am leaving with a solid record of accomplishment and not a little regret that I will not be here to continue many of the very rewarding efforts that I have begun in Academic Affairs.” She described CUNY as “an inspirational place for me to work,” adding that “there is no other university on the face of this planet that can match CUNY’s mission, faculty breadth, and intellectual capital.”

Among the achievements Dr. Botman cited during her four year tenure were the Campaign for Student Success, a CUNY-wide project that focuses on enhancing student achievement; the Teacher Academy, which supports high performing students who aspire to become math and science teachers in the city’s public schools; online education; reform of doctoral education in the sciences; the creation of a School of Public Health; efforts to recruit students and faculty who are members of underrepresented minority groups; and cluster hiring efforts in U.S. History and Demography.

Among Dr. Botman’s important objectives before she leaves CUNY will be to help complete the blueprint of a new Master Plan for consideration by the Board of Trustees at the June 2008 Board Meeting.

Chancellor Goldstein also announced that he intends to designate Dr. Alexandra W. Logue as Interim Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and University Provost upon Dr. Botman’s departure. Dr. Logue has been Special Advisor to the Chancellor and Associate University Provost at CUNY since 2006. Her responsibilities have included supervising CUNY’s performance management process and system-wide academic affairs projects.

A Harvard trained behavioral scientist whose research area is learning and motivation, Dr. Logue has extensive leadership and teaching experience in higher education. From 2001 to 2006 she was Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at New York Institute of Technology. From 1995 to 2001 she was Dean of the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences at Baruch College/CUNY. Dr. Logue joined the faculty of the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1978, where she rose to become Associate Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Chair of the Department of Psychology

The City University of New York was founded in 1847 as the Free Academy in New York City. The City University of New York is the nation’s largest urban public university. CUNY comprises 23 institutions: 11 senior colleges, six community colleges, the William E. Macaulay Honors College at CUNY, the Graduate School and University Center, the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, the CUNY School of Law at Queens College, the CUNY School of Professional Studies, and the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education. The University serves more than 231,000 degree-credit students and 230,000 adult, continuing and professional education students. College Now, the University‚Äôs academic enrichment program for 32,500 high school students, is offered at CUNY campuses and more than 300 high schools throughout the five boroughs of the City of New York. The University offers online baccalaureate degrees through the School of Professional Studies and individualized bachelor’s degrees through the CUNY Baccalaureate. The University Teacher Academy provides free tuition for highly motivated mathematics and science majors who seek teaching careers in the city.