Queensborough Professor and Author, Nominated for Most Prestigious Award in Field of Crime Writing, to Speak at Presidential Lecture Series

March 19, 2009 (Bayside, N.Y.) — Professor Jean Murley, English, Queensborough Community College, will discuss her new book, The Rise of True Crime: 20th Century Murder and American Popular Culture at the 2009 Spring Presidential Lecture Series. The book, nominated for an 2009 Edgar Allen Poe Award in the Best Critical/Biographical category by the Mystery Writers of America, examines the true crime genre within popular culture. The lecture will present an overview of the book along with material about high-profile criminal events such as the “Helter Skelter” murders, and a look at true-crime as the subject of blogs and television programs.
“I’ve always been fascinated with true crime genre and popular literature, and since I could never find anything to read on the subject, I decided to write my own book,” comments Professor Murley.
The Spring Presidential Lecture Series will be held at Queensborough Community College on Wednesday, April 1, 2009, in the Medical Arts Building, Room 136 at 4:00PM.
For more information on the lecture, please contact (718) 631-6262. Press should contact Alice Doyle at (718) 281-5591.