CCNY Junior Yi Qiang Chen Receives Advertising Club Scholarship

December 17, 2009 | City College

Yi Qiang Chen’s dream of a career as a graphic designer received a big boost when the City College of New York (CCNY) junior was awarded The ADVERTISING Club’s 2009 Digital Action Scholarship, December 1.

The award, which rewards academic excellence, comes with a $5,000 stipend that Mr. Chen, an Electronic Design & Multimedia major with a 3.76 G.P.A., plans to use to purchase equipment for use in his coursework. Yi Qiang Chen, CCNY junior and recipient of The ADVERTISING Club's 2009 Digital Action Scholarship

“I’ve always been interested in art from when I was a child in China and this scholarship makes it easier for me to pursue my dream,” he remarked. “The scholarship will help me buy stuff I need for my classes like digital cameras, an Apple Mac computer and design software.”

In addition to the money, Mr. Chen, whose family emigrated from the Chinese city of Guangzhou in 1995, also received a one-year membership in The ADVERTISING Club (AD).

He is the second City College student to receive the Digital Action Scholarship, which is given to provide access to careers in new media to ethnically diverse New York undergraduates. Zohar Avgar received it in 2008, the first year it was given.

The AD Club is the premier organization for all communication professionals in New York. The Club offers its members a forum for exchanging ideas, career development, making connections, recognizing excellence and giving back to build a stronger advertising and marketing community.
Contact: Jay Mwamba, 212/650-7580, jmwamba@ccny.cuny.edu