Professor Pérez Rosario Earns Career Enhancement Fellowship for 2010–2011

Brooklyn, N.Y.—Vanessa Pérez Rosario, assistant professor of Puerto Rican and Latino studies, is the recipient of the Career Enhancement Fellowship for Junior Faculty.

Beginning in June 2010, Pérez Rosario will spend one year in residence at New York University in the Department of Social and Cultural Analysis, where she will consult with Professor of Social and Cultural Analysis Juan Flores as she prepares for publication of her manuscript, Becoming Julia de Burgos: Feminism, Transnationalism, Diaspora.

“The Department of Puerto Rican and Latino Studies is very proud of this milestone in Dr. Pérez Rosario’s career,” says Chairperson María Pérez y González. “I had the pleasure of writing a letter of recommendation on her behalf and was overjoyed when she called to inform me she was the recipient of this prestigious national recognition.” The fellowship is funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and administered by the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation.

Pérez Rosario, who joined the Brooklyn College faculty in 2007, received an M.A. in English and American Literature from Harvard University in 2000 and a Ph.D. in comparative literature from the University of California – Davis in 2007. She is an expert on U.S.-Latino literature and 19th- and 20th-century Latin American literature, including Caribbean literature, poetry, autobiography/memoir, critical theory and women’s writing.

Pérez Rosario’s current work on de Burgos is a biography that portrays the Puerto Rican poet as a transitional figure bridging the historical divide between Puerto Rican nationalist writers of the 1930s and “Nuyorican” writers of the 1970s.

Says Pérez Rosario: “I am thrilled to have received this award. It’s a wonderful feeling to have your work validated and supported in this way.”