Project H.I.R.E. Director Recognized by Yankees as a Good Neighbor

June 9, 2010 | Bronx Community College

Bronx, NY - Glenda Self was recognized at Yankee Stadium on June 2, 2010, for being a good neighbor. She is director of Bronx Community College’s Project H.I.R.E. (Help In Reentering Employment), a community development project that has helped Bronxites for over 25 years. The program trains men and women for careers in the building trades.

On that special day of recognition, Self arrived in the early evening at Yankee Stadium and was led onto the field. She watched the Yankees workout during batting practice. As she stood in front of the dugout near the water containers where players quenched their thirst, she seized the moment and asked for autographs. “I tried to be cool,” stated Self. “I had my pen in one hand and my baseball in the other hand ready to be signed. Baseball players are big, but I’ve gotten used to speaking to big guys who work in Project H.I.R.E.”  She was able to get signatures from Derek Jeter, Curtis Granderson and Alex Rodriguez.

A Yankees staff person then asked Self to stand between home plate and first base.  A State Farm Insurance Company representative presented her with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat. At the same time, her face flashed on the overhead Jumbotron TV screen. Around the stadium, there was a stir of appreciation from fans as they watched.  Self receive the special recognition on behalf of Bronx Community College for managing Project H.I.R.E. for 25 years. “I felt thrilled about the award,” she said. “It made me realize even more the importance of all the good work that we do at Bronx Community College.”

Project H.I.R.E. trainees learn about painting, tiling, plumbing, electrical repairing, framing and sheetrock installing. They also gain professional job search skills to meet the building trades needs of the building and property maintenance industry. The training provides pathways to careers. Some Project H.I.R.E. graduates worked on building the new Yankee Stadium.

Self celebrated her special recognition on a winning evening. The Yankees won the game, defeating the Baltimore Orioles, 9-1.

Founded in 1957, Bronx Community College (BCC), the oldest of City University of New York’s six community colleges, serves as the engine for academic and economic mobility for motivated students from diverse backgrounds and preparations. More than 11,000 students from over 109 nations are enrolled in 30 associate degree and certificate programs including Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Computer Graphics, Nuclear Medicine, and Business Administration, Digital Arts, Computer Information Systems, Education Associate, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Technology, Electronic Engineering Technology, Liberal Arts, Marketing, Accounting, Human Services, Media Technology and Paralegal Studies. BCC’s 43-acre campus, high above the Harlem River, features architectural masterpieces of Stanford White and Marcel Breuer, as well as the Hall of Fame of Great Americans, the nation’s first hall of fame. BCC President Carolyn G. Williams is in her 14th year of leadership service to the College, which is located on a 43-acre campus at 2155 University Avenue at West 181st Street , formerly New York University’s uptown campus until 1973.

The College is home to initiatives not commonly associated with two-year institutions, such as the Center for Sustainable Energy, which promotes the use of renewable and efficient energy technologies in urban communities. The National Center for Educational Alliances (NCEA) ) is currently collaborating with South African Further Education and Training Colleges and universities to create linkages between these institutions and is also working to enhance student and academic support at the colleges. NCEA also coordinates the College’s global initiative which facilitates global learning within and outside of the classroom.

Bryant Mason / (718) 289-5208 / bryant.mason@bcc.cuny.edu