Dr. Joseph Ugoretz Named Associate Dean of Teaching, Learning, and Technology at Macaulay Honors College

September 28, 2010 | Macaulay Honors College

Ann Kirschner, University Dean of Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York, announced that Joseph Ugoretz, PhD, has been named the College’s Associate Dean of Teaching, Learning, and Technology.

Dr. Ugoretz, formerly the Macaulay Director of Technology and Learning, will retain his role as chief information officer for the school. He will assume additional responsibilities both for faculty development and for investigating and implementing new tools and resources for instruction, creating and supporting an infrastructure that allows use of the tools in teaching and learning.

“Joe has had a pivotal role in the success of Macaulay and our students, and I’m pleased to be able to acknowledge his enormous contributions with his promotion to Associate Dean,” said Kirschner. “As we embark on our second decade as the flagship honors program at the nation’s largest public university, I am confident that what we at Macaulay can offer our students will only get better with the benefit of his talent and leadership.”

Dr. Ugoretz is a nationally recognized expert in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, particularly with new media and digitally enhanced environments. His publications and research interests range from oral performance art and county fair pitchmen to eportfolios and digital ethics. Dr. Ugoretz joined Macaulay in 2007 after a 20-year career as a professor of English, and he has brought a focus on technology as a tool for improving pedagogy and student learning, which he will be expanding in this new role.

“I am delighted to have the opportunity to expand my contribution to enhancing teaching and learning at Macaulay Honors College,” offers Ugoretz. “In this new role, I will bolster Macaulay’s innovations in new media, social pedagogies, faculty development, and new directions in research and scholarship. As we explore what new technologies will provide for us, our students, and our world, I look forward to working with all my colleagues at Macaulay as we move into our second decade and reimagine honors scholarship in public higher education.”

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers an exceptional academic and co-curricular environment for the best and brightest students, who come from all parts of New York and around the world. Macaulay students enroll in one of seven CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). Through the unique Macaulay advising program, each student develops a coordinated, individualized academic program that includes research, global learning, graduate and professional mentoring, community engagement, and close faculty-student collaboration. Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, every Macaulay student receives a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, a $7,500 study grant to pursue global learning and service opportunities, and a Cultural Passport that provides access to more than 200 museums, libraries, and other treasures around New York City. With the admission of the Class of 2014, Macaulay marks the beginning of its tenth year. For more information about Macaulay Honors College, see macaulay.cuny.edu.

Director of Communications