CUNY SPS Student named Boston Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities

October 25, 2010 | School of Professional Studies

The CUNY School of Professional Studies is delighted to announce that on Tuesday, October 19th, Mayor Thomas M. Menino joined members of Boston’s disability community to celebrate the appointment of Kristen McCosh as Boston’s new Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities. Kristen, who commutes from Boston to Manhattan for her courses in the Master of Arts in Disabilities Studies degree program at SPS, is looking forward to the challenges of this new position, and notes that “classes at CUNY have helped me to gain a comprehensive understanding of disability models which will help me frame my approach to the issues. I hope to be a resource as well as an advocate for people with disabilities in the City of Boston.”

As stated on its Web site, the Commission facilitates full and equal participation in all aspects of life by persons with disabilities in the City of Boston, strives to reduce architectural, procedural, attitudinal, and communication barriers that affect persons with disabilities, and coordinates and monitors the City’s compliance with federal, state, and city civil rights laws for persons with disabilities.

Dr. Mariette Bates, Academic Director of Disabilities Studies Programs and Distinguished Lecturer at CUNY SPS, is “so pleased that Kristen has been appointed to this important position. She is a wonderful student who has been an asset to our program.  I know that she will add what she has learned to her own experience to benefit people with disabilities in Boston.”

In addition to pursuing the Master of Arts degree in Disabilities Studies at SPS, Kristen earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Political Science, Magna Cum Laude, from the University of Massachusetts at Boston. In 2008, she was named Ms. Wheelchair America, participating in the national competition in Washington D.C. as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts 2007. Kristen is also completing a women’s fiction novel series that features women with disabilities as heroines.

CUNY School of Professional Studies (SPS) serves New York City’s dynamic marketplace by providing timely, innovative and high-quality programs of study designed to address new or unmet needs.  Drawing on CUNY’s nationally and internationally renowned faculty and practitioners, as well as industry and education partners, SPS offers a wide range of graduate and undergraduate programs, including CUNY’s first fully online degree programs.

Press Contact:
Laura Jack
ljack@gc.cuny.edu