Chancellor Matthew Goldstein On Mayor Bloomberg’s Announcement To Develop a New Engineering and Applied Sciences Research Campus

December 17, 2010 | The University

I commend Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Deputy Mayor for Economic Development Robert K. Steel and New York City Economic Development Corporation President Seth W. Pinsky on their announcement of an initiative to work with a university, applied science organization, or related institution to develop and operate an applied sciences research campus in New York City.  In order to stay competitive in a global economy driven by innovation, our city and our country must foster advanced research and applications in science and technology.  I applaud the city’s vision for a more diverse economy that capitalizes on established and emerging fields of inquiry, from engineering to environmental science.

Drawing on its distinguished faculty, already working on collaborative, federally funded research projects in cutting-edge areas, The City University of New York (CUNY) and its science-oriented campuses stand ready to partner with our peer institutions to strengthen the city’s applied science capabilities.  Enriching New York City’s research and commercialization capacity requires the leadership and collaboration of highly regarded educational, financial, and business communities.

As the mayor noted, discoveries made through research in engineering, science, and technology will propel the economy.  I strongly support a sustained initiative to build on the leading research, education, and commercialization efforts already under way and to spur new development and industry.  CUNY looks forward to expanded efforts to further advance New York City as a more vital, 21st-century global center.