HOSTOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE CELEBRATES DOMINICAN HERITAGE MONTH WITH ART EXHIBIT:”REPUBLICA DE MI CORAZON: EN NEW YORK”

February 22, 2011 | Hostos Community College

What: Hostos Alumni Relations Office will hold a reception to celebrate the beginning of the Dominican Heritage Month with the opening of “Republica de mi Corazón en New York,” an art exhibition by Pedro Gastón, Class of 1991.
Where C-Lobby, Hostos Community College, 450 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10451
When: Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 6:00PM
About the Artist: Pedro Gastón, Class of 1991
 Pedro Gastón moved to the United States from San Francisco de Macorís, Dominican Republic, at the age of five, but his native land was never absent from his paintings.

“The place I came from has had a great influence on my style,” says Gastón.  “Most of my work portrays the scenery and culture of the Caribbean, which is diverse, passionate, and filled with colors.  Many places in my country gave me the great inspiration to paint.”  Even when he is not depicting the Dominican Republic, Gastón hints at the mixed feelings that lie beneath the immigrant experience. Also a bilingual education teacher and freelance educator, he has exhibited his paintings at Hostos Community College, Boricua College, the Bronx Borough President’s Gallery, the New York Public Library, Rio Galleries I, and El Taller Latino Americano.  Gaston has an associate’s degree from Hostos, a bachelor’s degree from Lehman College, and a master’s degree in science in education from Fordham University.

Visuals: Listing of paintings:

La Tarea
Amigo Mir
Al Caer la Tarde
Mis Ricas Habichuelas
Mi Gallo Rojo
La Dama de los Girasoles
Y Con Mis Libros
El Verdoz
Esperanza
Sacrificio
La Tierra
Alistando Redes
Perico no Fuma
Camino Arduo
Mis Hermanas Mirabal
Y se Hizo la Patria
El Zapatero
Marcha Hacia Hostos CC*
Somos Uno

* In this painting, a female “marchanta” walks toward Hostos with a basket of books on her head.  In the distance, one can see the Hostos Bridge.  This image, which represents the learning and educational opportunities that Hostos offers to the Dominican community and other populations, is basically the theme of this alumni exhibit, which will run from February 2nd to February 27th, 2011.

For more information, please contact Nydia R. Edgecombe, Director of Alumni Relations, at 718-518-4180.