Chancellor Goldstein’s Message on the Disaster in Japan and the University’s Relief Efforts

“As you know, the nation of Japan is confronting the devastating effects of last week’s earthquake and tsunami.  Many of our students, faculty, staff, and alumni trace their ancestry to Japan and may have family members, friends, and colleagues in the affected areas. I know that you share my profound concern about the tragic impact of this disaster on the residents of Japan and on our CUNY community. I have designated Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Frank Sanchez as University Relief Coordinator.  He will lead a CUNY-wide effort to encourage contributions to assist the Japanese people through the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City: https://www.nyc.gov/html/fund/html/donate/donate.shtml.  I have requested that each college designate a campus relief coordinator to organize and support local relief and humanitarian efforts and to participate in University-wide meetings and activities. In the meantime, on behalf of the University, I extend my deepest condolences to those members of the CUNY community whose family and friends have been affected by this grievous disaster. Thank you for your concern and assistance.”