Medgar Evers College Alumna Natalie Leary Awarded $10,000 MPA Award from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University

October 11, 2011 | Medgar Evers College

Alumna Natalie Leary

Medgar Evers College alumna Natalie Leary is the proud recipient of a $10,000 Award from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University. Presently a first year MPA student, she has been selected as the Maxwell School’s 2011-2012 Margaret Jane White Scholar – a merit-based scholarship awarded a student who “has demonstrated by action, or has the potential to demonstrate, concern for the well being of fellow beings and their needs.” Formerly a Public Administration major at Medgar Evers, Leary received favorable recommendations from the College’s Department of Public Administration.

“Natalie Leary is one of Medgar’s outstanding graduates and young leaders who are increasingly making their mark in the public sector and at prestigious graduate institutions such as the Maxwell School, Syracuse University,” said Dr. John Flateau, Chairperson of the Dept. Of Public Administration.

Margaret Jane White Scholar awardees are chosen through a highly competitive process and provided to students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement and leadership potential, as evidenced by past professional, internship and volunteer experiences.

“My academic achievements post Medgar Evers College would not be possible without the guidance, mentorship and encouragement, received from the faculty in the Department of Public Administration in the School of Business, as well as the faculty and staff of the Center for Law and Social Justice,” said Leary. “ I cannot express what a profound impact they have all made in my life and I will forever remember all the lessons they have imparted on me. Armed with these invaluable lessons, and student leadership skills that I cultivated while at Medgar, I am ready to take on the world and continue pursuing my dreams of becoming Secretary of the United States Department of Education. I hope the news of my hard work and achievements encourages students to work harder toward turning their dreams in to realities and planning for their lives.”

Leary also serves as an ambassador of the MPA program and the Maxwell School at Syracuse University.

The Margaret Jane White Scholarship

This award is made possible by a gift to the Maxwell School by Florence White, honoring her daughter who was a Syracuse University student. Florence White, in recognition of her daughter’s compassionate nature, established this memorial scholarship in 1995 and it has annually been given to an incoming MPA student who has shown great compassion and duty to the public through professional and/or voluntary activities. This scholarship has a value of $10,000 and will assist with financing the students MPA studies at the Maxwell School. It partially covers the student’s expenses in the program crediting $5,000 for the fall and $5,000 for spring to the awardees’ Bursar’s account. It will then be applied toward tuition and living expenses.

About Medgar Evers College, CUNY

Medgar Evers College was founded in 1970 through the efforts from educators and community leaders in central Brooklyn. The College is named after Medgar Wiley Evers, a Mississippi-born black civil rights activist who was assassinated on June 12, 1963. The College is divided into four schools: The School of Business; The School of Professional and Community Development; The School of Liberal Arts and Education; and The School of Science, Health, and Technology. Through these Schools, the College offers 29 associate and baccalaureate degree programs, as well as certificate programs in fields such as English, Nursing, and Accounting. Medgar Evers College also operates several co-curricular and external programs and associated centers such as the Male Development and Empowerment Center, the Center for Women’s Development, the Center for Black Literature, and The DuBois Bunche Center for Public Policy.