Putnam County District Attorney Speaks to Bronx Community College Students About Bullying, Growing Up in the Bronx, and Criminal Justice Careers

November 18, 2011 | Bronx Community College, Uncategorized

Putnam County District Attorney Adam Levy with BCC Criminal Justice club president Leslie Colon.

Bronx, NY — Putnam County, NY, District Attorney Adam Levy visited Bronx Community College November 10, 2011, where he spoke to criminal justice students about the bullying epidemic, his Bronx background, and careers in the criminal justice field. “You are in the best place to learn your trade in criminal justice,” he said at the event sponsored by the Criminal Justice Program and the BCC Justice Academy. “What I suggest to you is to challenge yourself, push yourself, and don’t stop.”

Levy began his career as an assistant district attorney in Suffolk County, NY. He has made a name for himself as a forceful advocate for victims of abuse, and for investigating and prosecuting crimes against women and children. He is also an outspoken advocate on behalf of victims of bullying, an epidemic that has received national headlines.

To raise awareness of and change attitudes about bullying in his district, Levy has built a coalition of teachers, parents, administrators, students, law enforcement officials, and judges. Currently, 47 states have anti-bullying laws, although most are not penal in nature, he pointed out. Roughly 60 percent of middle-school bullies, absent intervention, will have criminal records by age 24. He added that pressure needs to be put on schools to investigate repeated acts of menacing and assault.

District Attorney Levy also spoke about his experience growing up in the Bronx and working as a rookie prosecutor. He was a student at John F. Kennedy High School, and he is the son of former family court judge Judith Sheindlin (also known as TV’s “Judge Judy”). “I wouldn’t have changed where I grew up for anything,” he said. “There are things you learn in the Bronx that can’t be taught anywhere else, certainly not in the Ivy Leagues—street smarts, the ability to size up another guy just by looking at him. That’s why when I became D.A. of Putnam County, I came straight back to the Bronx D.A.’s office to hire all my assistant district attorneys.”

BCC’s Criminal Justice Program is for students interested in careers in police science, law, security management, and other law-related fields. It is a joint degree program with CUNY’s John Jay College of Criminal Justice. For more information about the BCC Criminal Justice Program, contact Dr. Michael Roggow, director of the Criminal Justice Academy, at 718.289.5713 or michael.roggow@bcc.cuny.edu.

About Bronx Community College
Bronx Community College of The City University of New York offers more than 30 academic programs that prepare students for careers and to continue their education at four-year colleges. Located on a 43-acre, treelined campus, BCC is home to the Hall of Fame for Great Americans, the country’s first hall of fame. The College provides its more than 10,500 students with high quality academic programs, outstanding faculty, and flexible class schedules. Students at BCC represent 60 countries from around the world. For more information about Bronx Community College, visit www.bcc.cuny.edu.