Lehman Student Wins Cullen Trust Fellowship

December 15, 2011 | Lehman College

Ravnit Kaur-Bhatia

Ravnit Kaur-Bhatia

Ravnit Kaur-Bhatia (Class of 2013) has received a 2011 Cullen Trust for Higher Education Travel Award, which will allow her to travel in January to the Texas Medical Center in Houston for a two-day career development workshop and symposium on M.D./Ph.D. programs.

The award is given to students with a GPA of 3.25 or higher and is sponsored by the University of Texas’s Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in Houston. According to the University’s website, the purpose of the award is to attract “the highest caliber undergraduates throughout the nation” to the Texas Medical Center.

“It’s a great honor,” Bhatia says. “I’m very excited to participate in the symposium and learn about various graduate programs around the country. By the end of the weekend, I’d really like to know what it takes to become a top M.D./Ph.D. student.” M.D./Ph.D. degrees are intensive eight-year programs, among the most competitive in the nation.

Bhatia, who was born and raised in India before arriving in the U.S. in 2005, is a Macaulay Honors College student at Lehman, majoring in chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry and minoring in biology and French studies.

Every semester, she keeps a busy schedule. Besides taking close to twenty-one credits a semester, she works in Dr. Naphtali O’Connor’s lab, conducting research on new Alzheimer’s treatments. She has had a number of internships, including positions in the Albert Einstein Medical Center’s Psychosocial Oncology Research Program and Bellevue Hospital’s Department of Emergency Services.

Last summer she completed a rigorous six-week medical and dental educational program at Duke University. She hopes one day, after completing her M.D./Ph.D., to go into cancer research.

“I would like to see myself as a physician-scientist,” she says, “who spends an equal amount of time dealing with patients and in the laboratory.”

She has won a host of honors, including membership in the National Honor Society, the National Latin Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta (the Mathematics Honor Society), Golden Key International Honor Society, the Dean’s List, and a Scholar-Athlete of the Year Award for the last three years. This year she was named captain of the Varsity Women’s Tennis Team.