Joanna Hernandez Returning to the J-School to Head Career Services Office

April 26, 2012 | CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

Joanna Hernandez

Joanna Hernandez, who has been juggling dual roles as a Washington Post multiplatform editor and president of Unity Journalists for more than a year, will take over as interim career services director of the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism in mid June. She will succeed Deborah Stead, who is retiring but will work with Hernandez during a transition period and take on special projects for the School.

The head of the Career Services Office works closely with students to help them find internships and jobs. The career staff reviews resumes and cover letters, organizes job-hunting workshops and meetings with recruiters, and holds an annual fall Career Fair.

Hernandez is no stranger to the J-School. She taught the required Craft of Journalism courses for several years and even commuted once a week between New York and Washington after she started at The Post in the fall of 2009. She accepted a buyout from the newspaper and will move back to New York after her last day on May 31.

“I look forward to using my personal experiences and all the things I’ve learned in newsrooms about reporting and dealing with management to help students and alumni,” Hernandez said. “Jobs are opening up, and we’re going to give our students everything they need to get hired.”

Prior to joining The Post, Hernandez worked as a copy editor for The Record and the Herald News in New Jersey. Before that, she was director of the Feature Production Center for The New York Times Regional Media Group. She became president of what was then UNITY: Journalists of Color in January 2011. A native New Yorker, she is a graduate of CUNY’s Borough of Manhattan Community College and received her B.A. degree in journalism from NYU.

The No. 2 position in the Career Services Office is turning over as well. Assistant Director of Career Services and Alumni Relations Lili Grossman, who joined the staff one month after the CUNY J-School opened in the fall of 2006, is leaving at the end of July to change careers. She will be starting this fall at CUNY’s Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing. The J-School is searching for a replacement.