Lehman College Senior Receives $9,900 Scholarship From Mountbatten Institute Toward Postgraduate Studies in London

May 29, 2012 | Lehman College

BRONX, N.Y.—Lehman College senior Sushanta Singha has been awarded a $9,900 scholarship toward postgraduate studies in London from the Mountbatten Institute. Singha, a native of Bangladesh, received the award as a result of being a St. George’s Society Scholarship recipient at Lehman.

The St. George’s Society and its members have contributed more than $200,000 to a scholarship fund it established at Lehman in 2008 and has awarded 100 scholarships to Lehman students in their final year of study. An economics major, Singha will pursue a Postgraduate Certificate in International Business Practice at St. Mary’s University College in Twickenham, London, as part of the one-year program. The scholarship is also connected to a paid internship in the London financial services sector.

“These generous gifts from the St. George’s Society and the Mountbatten Institute enable our students to gain an important foothold on the path toward fulfilling their professional dreams,“ said Lehman College President Ricardo R. Fernández. “Through financial support and opportunities for international experience, students are able to expand their awareness of their talents and what they can contribute to the wider world.”

Singha migrated to the United States in 2001 to pursue his education after having lived for five years with his family in North Korea, where his father was stationed at a United Nations Development Program post. He enrolled in the Macaulay Honors College at Lehman and is the recipient of a Jeannette K. Watson Fellowship. Singha has worked as a research intern for the China Center for Economics and Business in Beijing, China, and has also spent a semester in South Korea as part of Lehman’s study-abroad program.

“I will miss New York City and my family, but I’m looking forward to getting to know that part of the world,” said Singha, who leaves for London in August. “I’m hoping to gain a lot of work experience in finance and get a good understanding of how investment banks operate so that once I come back, I can start applying for full-time positions in the States.” He hopes to eventually start his own microfinance institution that can help small businesses by providing financial services and advice.

The Mountbatten Institute’s staff and corporate sponsors, in association with the Graduate School of Management and Social Sciences of St. Mary’s University College, are committed to furthering the international perspective and prospects of the next generation.

Founded in 1770, the St. George’s Society is one of the oldest charitable organizations in New York City. HRH The Duke of Gloucester, cousin to Queen Elizabeth II, is the royal patron of the society.

Contact: Keisha-Gaye Anderson / 718-960-8013 / keishagaye.anderson@lehman.cuny.edu