Long-lost original blueprints of a beloved stadium, along with mementoes of the team that played there for almost half a century, are featured in a new Brooklyn College Library exhibit: “There Used to Be a Ballpark: Ebbets Field and the Brooklyn Dodgers.”
Seven long-lost 1912 blueprints are the centerpiece of the exhibit, which also includes photos, cartoons and a 3-D replica of an illustration signed by 1949 team members. Also on display is one of the field’s last home plates — with a wry dedication to the owner who moved the Dodgers to Los Angeles after the 1957 season: “May Walter O’Mally [sic] roast in hell.”
The Dodgers played 45 seasons in Ebbets Field, where in 1939 baseball’s first televised game took place and in 1947 Jackie Robinson became the first African-American to play a major league game. The field was torn down in 1960. The exhibit, where you’ll also learn the saga of the rediscovered historic blueprints, will be in the first floor Special Collections Gallery of the library until July 10; hours vary.