Fashion Forward

July 31, 2012 | Borough of Manhattan Community College

Fashion Forward

What do artist Sarah Haviland and fashion gurus Stella McCartney and Giambattista Valli have in common?

This summer, their creative talent shared the same window at Saks Fifth Avenue.

“I loved my window,” says Haviland, an associate professor in BMCC’s Music and Art department. “It was very elegant.”

Street art
It’s no secret that Saks Fifth Avenue, a luxury department store and a New York fashion staple, has beautiful store windows for pedestrians to admire.

“People are impressed by the Saks name,” says Haviland. “It catches people’s attention in a whole different way.”

Haviland’s personal sculptures have been featured throughout New York City, but Saks was, “my first fashion window,” she explains. “I likes that it attracts foot traffic; a different audience than an art gallery.”

Sculptors Guild
Saks is a supporter of Sculptors Guild, a Brooklyn-based organization founded in 1937 that, according to its catalogue, “unites sculptors of all progressive aesthetic tendencies.”

Haviland is an active member of Sculptors Guild. When she heard about Saks’ annual fashion and sculpture display—titled Sculptors Guild Presents: An Exhibition of Fashion and Sculpture—she submitted some slides of her work for consideration.

“The Saks window production design team selected the featured artwork by guild members,” explains Haviland. Her sculpture “Two in Hand” made of ceramic with patina and approximately 18 inches long, impressed the Saks team, who, in turn, selected it for a window.

“The Saks team dressed the windows around the artwork they liked,” says Haviland. “In total, eight Sculptors Guild artists were featured.”

Some of Haviland’s other sculptures can be viewed at Governors Island, and in Rhinebeck, NY, Englewood, NJ, and at NYU Langone Medical Center.