Archive for August, 2012

Grant Will Advance Technological Skills of Nursing Students

August 13, 2012 | Queensborough Community College

The Department of Nursing at Queensborough Community College has been awarded a 2012-13 Workforce Development Initiative (WDI) grant to further prepare nursing students for the technologically-sophisticated healthcare workforce.

This American Life and AlterNet Feature CUNY CLEAR Project

August 13, 2012 | CUNY School of Law

This American Life and AlterNet featured CUNY Law’s Creating Law Enforcement Accountability and Responsibility (CLEAR) Project.

Professor Joshua Freilich’s Research is Highlighted in Daily Beast Article on Far-Right Extremists

August 13, 2012 | John Jay College of Criminal Justice

Professor Joshua Freilich of the Department of Criminal Justice at John Jay College was quoted in article titled “Trying to Identify the Next Far-Right Extremist Before He Shoots” that recently appeared in The Daily Beast. Writing about the rise of violent crimes committed by individuals affiliated with far-right groups, the reporter interviewed Professor Freilich about National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism’s (START) report on domestic far-right groups. The report used data from Professor Freilich’s study on far-right homicides.

Macaulay Honors College Partners with Smarthistory at Khan Academy for an Interactive Art-Making Event at The Brooklyn Museum

August 13, 2012 | Macaulay Honors College

NEW YORK, NY  (August 27, 2012) – Macaulay Honors College at CUNY, in partnership with Smarthistory at Khan Academy, welcomes 500 incoming freshmen from the class of 2016 for a special encounter with art and conversation.

Macaulay Honors College Student Wins National “Quiz On Korea” Contest

August 13, 2012 | Macaulay Honors College

NEW YORK, NY (August, 2012) – Tamar Herman, Macaulay Honors College student at Queens College and East Asian studies major, is the national winner of the first annual “Quiz on Korea” contest.

Two LaGuardia Community College Students Receive Prestigious Finch Scholarships

August 13, 2012 | LaGuardia Community College

Long Island City, NY—Two LaGuardia Community College students who graduated this year with honors have received the highly selective Finch College Scholarship. Zineb Bouizy, a Liberal Arts: Math and Science graduate; and Harmonie Kobanghe, a Liberal Arts: Social Sciences and Humanities graduate, were among four community college women to be awarded a $2,000 grant to […]

PBS Features Mae Watson Grote (’99) on Improving the Financial Security of the Working Poor

August 13, 2012 | CUNY School of Law

Alum Mae Watson Grote (’99) spoke on a segment of PBS’s Need to Know about the work of the nonproft organization she founded, The Financial Clinic. Grote discussed how the Clinic’s financial coaches work with their clients to create a budget to map out their situation and achieve financial goals.

Changing of the Guard at Voices of NY

August 13, 2012 | CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

Veteran journalist Maite Junco, former managing editor of Hispanic publications at the New York Daily News, will become the new editor of Voices of NY, beginning in mid-September. Voices of NY aggregates the best news stories from the city’s community and ethnic media outlets and is housed at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. “We [...]

Alumni Association Holds Annual Meeting

August 13, 2012 | College of Staten Island

The Annual Meeting of the CSI Alumni Association Board of Directors was held on Monday, June 18, 2012 in the Campus Center Green Dolphin Lounge. The meeting provided an opportunity to welcome current and former Board members, members of the CSI Administration, and old friends, and gave a glimpse into the future as 2012 grads were also present.

Clips of the Week

August 9, 2012 | CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

Check out some of the latest links from our reporters, present and past: •Briggette Sayegh profiled a Beirut restaurateur for The Daily Star of Lebanon. •Amital Isaac contributed to NBC News’ Olympics coverage with her report on how technology is changing Taekwondo. •Tom DiChristopher’s story about a possible boost for American satellite makers found a [...]

Dr. Anny Morrobel-Sosa, Dean at University of Texas, Becomes New Provost at Lehman College

August 9, 2012 | Lehman College

Dr. Anny Morrobel-Sosa, most recently the dean of the College of Science at the University at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), has become the new provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at Lehman College.

Innkeeper Opens Doors to Fourth Location with the Help From Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses at LaGuardia Community College

August 9, 2012 | LaGuardia Community College

Long Island City, NY—A chance encounter back in 1993 got Monique Greenwood, a successful magazine editor-in-chief, thinking about trying her hand at a new career. Ms. Greenwood was driving in her Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn neighborhood when she spotted a bride and groom getting their picture taken, unaware that there were garbage cans in the background. When […]

Biotech Students Work to Reduce Harmful Bacteria in Hospitals

August 8, 2012 | Queensborough Community College

Hospitals constantly seek new methods to combat deadly bacteria which can survive for days on patient bed rails, tray tables, door handles and IV poles.

NY Times Features Prof. Goldscheid’s Letter on Police Misconduct

August 8, 2012 | CUNY School of Law

Professor Julie Goldscheid’s Letter to the Editor about police misconduct was published in the New York Times. Her letter responds to a July 24 article about plans to reform police misconduct in the New Orleans Police Department through a consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice.

Amy Stretten, ’11, Moderates United Nations Panel on Indigenous Media

August 7, 2012 | CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

Class of 2011 graduate Amy Stretten moderated a panel on indigenous media at the United Nations’ International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples event at U.N. headquarters in New York on Aug. 9. The focus of the gathering was the role of newspapers, television, radio, film, and social media in preserving the cultures of indigenous [...]

John Smock to Help Develop Mobile Phone Apps for Citizen Journalists in the Arab World

August 7, 2012 | CUNY Graduate School of Journalism

CUNY J-School photojournalism and interactive instructor John Smock is working with the International Center for Journalists, Small World News, The Guardian Project, and Free Press Unlimited to develop a package of open source interactive mobile phone apps and resources for citizen journalists and professionals throughout the Arab world. The Android-based app is designed to improve [...]

Mandy Frescoln Named Lehman Head Athletic Trainer

August 7, 2012 | Sports

BRONX, N.Y. – The Lehman Athletics Department has announced the appointment of Mandy Frescoln as head athletic trainer. Frescoln inherits the responsibility of overseeing the medical needs of Lehman’s 18 varsity sports teams.

Queens College Choral Society Invites New Members to Sing Bach’s B Minor Mass and Mahler’s Symphony No. 2

August 6, 2012 | Queens College

On August 22, 29, September 5 and 12, the Queens College Choral Society will hold auditions for its 2012-13 concert
season, which will feature Bach’s B Minor Mass and Mahler’s Symphony No. 2, “Resurrection,” two extraordinary
works for chorus and orchestra.

Majoring in How People Connect

August 6, 2012 | Borough of Manhattan Community College

“I’m majoring in Communication Studies because I want to go into journalism,” says a BMCC student in a short video about the college’s newest academic offering.

“I’m majoring in Communication Studies because I want to go into public relations,” says another student.

“I might want to go into corporate training, counseling or teaching,” a third student says.

Her point: communication lies at the heart of every area of human activity. The acquisition of strong communication skills—not just the ability to convey messages, but to listen, write, speak and think critically—“will give me a great foundation for all these fields and more,” she adds.

CCNY Psychologist Offers Guide to Utilizing Projective Tests

August 6, 2012 | City College

“If I hold up a coffee mug and ask you to tell me what it is, it is easy for you to give me the correct answer, but you haven’t revealed anything about yourself,” says City College of New York Professor of Psychology Steven Tuber. “But if I ask you to describe something that is ambiguous I am giving you a problem, and how you make sense of it tells me something about yourself.”