Lehman Student Wins Freeman-Asia Award

September 4, 2012 | Macaulay Honors College

Zerin Tasnim ’14, a Political Science major at Lehman College has won the Freeman-Asia Award to study abroad in Seoul, South Korea, during fall 2012. The Freeman-Asia is awarded by the Institute for International Education whose goal is to, “increase the number of Americans with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures.” Zerin chose to study in South Korea because she wanted to enhance her Korean speaking and communication skills. Her interest in the Korean language and culture also persuaded her. She is very excited about being awarded the Freeman-Asia and says, “Freeman-Asia is my chance to indulge in my wanderlust. Because of Freeman-Asia, I have a choice to study abroad once again in the semesters to come. Freeman-Asia also gives me the tools to bring more exposure to Korea and the benefits of studying abroad in Asia. It is a privilege that I am humbled to be presented.”

Zerin will be studying Asian History, Political Science, and the Korean language at Sungshin Women’s University. After graduation, Zerin plans on attending Law School to be a criminal defense attorney.

Click here to follow Zerin’s blog about her experiences in Korea.

About Macaulay Honors College

Macaulay Honors College at The City University of New York offers an exceptional academic and co-curricular environment for the best and brightest students, who come from all parts of New York and around the world. Macaulay students enroll in one of seven CUNY senior colleges (Baruch, Brooklyn, City, Hunter, John Jay, Lehman, Queens and Staten Island). Through the unique Macaulay advising program, each student develops a coordinated, individualized academic program that includes research, global learning, graduate and professional mentoring, community engagement, and close faculty-student collaboration. Selected for their top high school records and leadership potential, every Macaulay student receives a full-tuition scholarship, a laptop and technology support, a $7,500 study grant to pursue global learning and service opportunities, and a Cultural Passport that provides access to more than 200 museums, libraries, and other treasures around New York City. For more information about Macaulay Honors College, visit macaulay.cuny.edu.

Press Contact: Grace Rapkin
Director of Marketing and Communications
grace.rapkin@mhc.cuny.edu

# # #